Q. Is it normal to hear voices continuously which others cannot hear?

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat
Published on Jan 11, 2019

My father aged 83 years is physically healthy but he is hearing some of the old friends sound continuously which we cannot hear, for 10 days. So, kindly give us some advice as soon as possible.

Dr. Kumarshri Shriniwas Saraswat

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology Sleep Medicine
#

This symptom of hearing things when there is no sound is known as an auditory hallucination. At his age, there could be a number of causes of the same as:

1. A stroke which has affected the blood supply of the part of the brain responsible for hearing. This is likely if he has untreated hypertension.

2. If there are other complaints like forgetfulness, not remembering names or recent events, or anger and sleep disturbances, along with this hallucination, then it could be dementia.

3. Old age psychosis or depression with psychotic features.

This auditory hallucination is just a symptom caused by an underlying disorder. It is advisable that you see a neurologist who will be able to investigate and diagnose the underlying cause and treat accordingly. The treatment will differ depending upon the cause of this symptom. It is advisable that you take treatment from an experienced neurologist because, during this age, the patient is very sensitive to side-effects. Take care.

Can tactile hallucination occur due to alcohol abstinence?

Query: Hi doctor, I have schizophrenia for more than 25 years. I had Clozapine for 15 years and now I am on Aripiprazole. I stayed away from alcohol for eight years. Before six months, I had alcohol once. Now, I am having some tactile hallucination. Is it due to alcohol abstinence? Will it disappear?  Read Full »

Kindly tell me the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has recently received a diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia. Here is a history of her: She had what we believed to be a nervous breakdown four years back. This was after a year of stress from a pending court case. After this breakdown, she displayed some psychotic symptoms....  Read Full »

Is stroke with bleeding serious or without bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a stroke but I do not know how to explain it. Twice I was bleeding along with the stroke. One type of bleeding was chronic and the other one was acute. I would like to know which type of bleeding is dangerous? And also explain the reason for the same.  Read Full »