Q. Can I take Azithromycin to prevent an abscess?

Published on Sep 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jan 30, 2019

To avoid an abscess, can I take an antibiotic like Azithromycin? If not, please suggest which one I can take?

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

Azithromycin is not recommended for skin and soft tissue infections. Generally, a combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate twice daily is used. However, unless you have a skin infection you should not use it. It is used for a treatment and not for prevention.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Impetigo, an Infectious Disease in Children

Article Overview: Impetigo, one of the most common skin infections among kids usually produces blisters or sores on the face, neck, hands, and diaper area. Read Article

Impetigo is the most common skin infection in children throughout the world. Bacteria mainly enters through break in the skin, which may allow bacteria to invade the skin. After invasion bacteria multiply in deep layers of the skin and leads to blister formation. There are two classic forms of im...  Read Article

All About Gum Abscess

Article Overview: Pus-filled pockets that form in the gums (gingiva) surrounding the tooth is called gum abscess. To know more about this, read the article. Read Article

Causes Any abscess arising in the region of the gum can be due to either of the three causes: Gingival abscess: This is the one that remains confined to your gum only and does not involve the deeper structures. Periodontal abscess: This is the one that is due to a deeper problem and involve...  Read Article

Can tooth abscess spread throughout the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old female. I have an abscess in my tooth for over a year now. I am getting it infected for the second time now. The previous infection was before six months. It is present at the bottom of one of my lower molars. It hurts me a lot. How long will it take to spread throughou...  Read Full »