iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersChiropractorback painIs chiropractic treament the only option for shooting pain in lower back and buttocks?

I get shooting pain in lower back and buttocks. Does it need chiropractic treatment?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At December 23, 2019
Reviewed AtDecember 22, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am a 31-year-old male. I currently have unbearable pain in my lower back and buttocks area. Every time I get up, the pain gets much worse and feel shooting pain down my leg, which gets me to a point that I have to pause two to five seconds. I went to a chiropractor yesterday and he wants me to go for treatment. It is a bit pricey at this point. I do have images of the x-rays and will upload them once I submit my query.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have studied your case. Medications like Methylcobalamine with Pregabalin and analgesic will reduce pain. You can take them consulting your treating doctor. Some exercises which can be done after pain have reduced include spine extension exercises, lying on your stomach flat and lift the leg six inches from the ground. Do it for other leg also. Now lift both hands and legs simultaneously, six inches off the ground and stay. Position for around ten breathes. Core stabilizing spine exercises will help. You may consult a physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS (transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation), or IFT (interferential therapy) which is helpful in your case. If you have started it continue it for a few more days. Some lifestyle modifications to prevent pain: Take a break for every 40 minutes from work and do some lumbar rotation, stretches, walk and get back to work. Sit with taking support to your back, and do not watch television constantly. I will advise to check your vitamin B12. If no relief with these medications then epidural steroid injection can be given. You may need to reduce weight. I hope this helps.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi
Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi

Orthopedician and Traumatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

back paintens

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy