Q. I experience blurred vision in one eye when I close my other. Is it normal?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Apr 10, 2019

I recently have noticed a slight blurriness in my right eye. It is only noticeable when I close my left eye, and so I am not sure how long it has taken for this to develop. I am going to see an optometrist and doctor early next week but am currently on the road for work.

My main question is that when I look out of the corner of my right eye the blurriness seems to subside and I can see usually. I am wondering if this is a good sign. I have been dealing with severe anxiety the past couple months, and I am worried that might have raised my blood pressure enough to hurt my eyesight.

Eyesight when looking with both eyes seems to be normal. I have also noticed floaters in my eyes. Kindly help.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

This kind of a picture of eyesight becoming better on looking at specific directions are related to astigmatism. It is a very prevalent and correctable condition. There is no need to be anxious about it. Different reasons cause floaters. A dilated retinal examination will be able to help us get to the cause.

Most of the conditions causing floaters are benign (not severe), but a few are dangerous, but all are treatable. So, I recommend that you visit your optometrist and in case you need any further information or help with refractive surgery, please schedule a consultation. I hope this helps you.

I am suffering from eye floaters and halos around the lights. Kindly advise.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from eye floaters, halos around the lights, photo after image, ghost image. First floaters started two years ago, then after 6 to 7 months later. I started seeing halos around the light then ghost image and three months ago, I started seeing photo afterimage. I am reall...  Read Full »

Why is my eye blurry only in sunlight?

Query: Hello doctor, My right eye appears blurry but only in sunlight and I see my eyelashes blurring my vision. I can read clearly with both my eyes and can also watch TV and normal activity while indoors. But during day time in bright light, I cannot see clearly with my right eye. I am 43, male. My eyes...  Read Full »