Q. I have a red dot on my penis head. Could it be herpes?

Dr. Ruth Agustin
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2019

Hello doctor,

I had a UTI two years ago that went untreated which resulted in the problem. I now have a permanent red dot on the head of my penis. No pain, bump or itching has ever come from the said dot. It has not increased in size in over a year. I have been using Kermatazole on the penis head for over a year now when the redness gets brighter. I take comprehensive STD tests every four months. The readings are always the same and the results negative. Now, I am worried that I have tested as an early case of herpes II simplex (genital herpes). I have performed two HSV2 IGG quant tests this year. Four months ago, I tested with a reading of 0.076. This month, I tested with a reading of 0.232. I had several different sexual partners during this period with unprotected contact, but no unprotected penetration, including two days before the most recent test. Should I be worried I contracted genital herpes?

Dr. Ruth Agustin

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I understand that you are greatly concerned about having early genital herpes.

• Both of your HSV IgG tests are negative since their values are less than 0.9. More accurate tests to determine primary HSV infection include HSV culture and HSV polymerase chain reaction (PCR) assays.
  • However, the description of your penile lesion does not seem to be consistent with genital herpes. Genital herpes usually manifests with multiple painful ulcers or fluid-filled vesicles.
  • Given your description, the lesion seems to be vascular, or a collection of small blood vessels. This is particularly true if there is blanching or there is a decrease in redness if you press on it.
  • If the lesion increases in size, or if there are other associated symptoms such as enlarging lymph nodes in the groin, weight loss, or fever, it is better to have it biopsied, to make sure that it is not cancer.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

How to treat genital herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently contracted genital herpes. I am having an outbreak, which scared me. I have blisters (vesicles) on the penis. I had a blood test done last week and this confirmed it. Please help me.  Read Full »

How do I know if my penile ulcerations are from herpes or candida?

Query: Hello doctor, What is the difference between the penile ulcerations caused by herpes and the ones caused by candidiasis? How can I know the difference between the two? A person who has many ulcerations on the penis is likely to have herpes or a candidiasis?  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now