Q. My perineal area burns while urinating. What can I do to ease this?

Dr. Bharat Udey
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 06, 2015 and last reviewed on: Dec 07, 2020

I am a 35 year old woman. My perineal area burns if my urine touches this area while I urinate. Having sex is also very painful. Should I be concerned and what can I do to ease this?

#

Your complaints are burning sensation around perineum whenever urine touches it, painful sexual intercourse and raw areas.

It looks like that you might have a genital infection. To be more specific, if you have reddish colored lesions, erosions/vesicles over genitals, painful to touch, mucoid discharge along with above-mentioned complaints, then most likely you have contracted genital herpes. Genital herpes is caused by a virus named herpes simplex, contacted by having an unprotected vaginal/ anal/ oral sex. Usually, the first infection is severe as compared to recurrent infection. The frequency of recurrent infection is high.

Diagnosis can be confirmed by ELISA detecting viral antigens.

Treatment involves the following:

1. Acyclovir, an antiviral agent, used for suppressing the infection for 5-7 days is required. If the number of recurrences is more than 9 times in a year then, treatment needs to be continued for about a year.
  2. Maintain genital hygiene, wash genitals with lukewarm normal saline solution, dry with soft cloth, do not apply any ointment, antiseptic agent on the lesions and wear clean loose undergarments.
  3. Avoid sexual intercourse for at least 2 weeks. Check whether your partner has similar lesions, if so then treatment is a must for the partner as well.
  4. Precautions involve avoidance of unprotected sexual practices. Maintain a healthy diet and drink plenty of fluids during treatment.

I would suggest you consult a venereologist in person, before starting this treatment, to get a screening done for other sexually transmitted diseases as well.

|