Q. What could be the reason for drastic weight loss after heart bypass surgery?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

My father underwent heart bypass surgery due to a heart attack and heart block three years ago. Then he suddenly got a stroke and came back to normal after medications. Now he cannot walk, feels very tired always, has dizziness, headaches, poor appetite, and dyspnea. His weight is reducing slowly. He became 38 kg from 55 kg. Heart ECG is normal. We could not identify the exact problem. Tell us your valuable guidance regarding this.

Thanks.

#

Thank you for writing, and I can understand your concern.

In such cases, severe weakness can be due to recurrent infection, decreased appetite, nutritional deficiencies such as vitamin D3, Calcium, vitamin B12, and dehydration. This dehydration becomes the leading cause of weakness as the human body comprises 60 to 70% water. So, when there is less amount of fluid intake, it should be corrected.

I suggest you do a complete blood count and serum electrolytes to check dehydration and fluid balance. And check his blood pressure routinely.

Please add a multivitamin tablet once daily before sleeping for ten days.

|