Q. After CABG, urine discharge is low and creatinine level is high. Why?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

My father has undergone CABG (bypass surgery of heart) since then he is on the medicine. During this operation, we came to know that he is also hepatitis B antigen positive. Ayurvedic treatment is continuing and things are under control. In last week accidentally he has broken bone of hip and the local doctor suggested for operation. Before operation blood test carried out and found that following are out of range: Glucose 368, urea 114, serum creatinine 3.1, C-reactive protein 59. But after operation urine discharge is low it is about 650 ml per day and creatinine level of my father has increased up to 4.6. And the hospital is suggesting dialysis. Whether it is good for dialysis or try to maintain with medicine.

#

From what you mentioned, your father has sustained acute kidney failure, the cause is not clear (may be due to bleeding and losing a large amount of blood). Dialysis is required if there is volume overload (lower limb edema and chest congestion), also if there is high potassium. A thorough assessment is required for a more appropriate decision. One or two sessions of dialysis does not mean that he will be on dialysis forever, assessment is required after the sessions.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|