iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersObstetrics and GynecologycandidiasisI have pain and itching in the vulva. Kindly help.

What can be the reason for the pain and itching of the vulva even if there is no previous history of intercourse?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At January 10, 2022
Reviewed AtJanuary 18, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I have pain in my vulva, and when I urinate, it itches. I have never had sex before, so it cannot be an STD. It has happened before; usually, it goes away in a few days. This is the third time I have been dealing with this issue, and it is worse than previous episodes. I do have chronic anxiety. I have not noticed any abnormal vaginal discharge. I am currently under Lexamil Minerva iron supplements.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern.

The urethra in women is short, so any infection in urine may also affect genital organs. It may be vaginal candidiasis. It frequently occurs in diabetics. So basic local application medicines will help. I suggest taking the following medications;

a) Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg weekly, one tablet for four weeks.

b) Apply Clotrimazole cream on the vulva daily for two to three weeks.

Drink lots of water. Do not apply any vaginal wash or creams. Maintain proper hygiene.

I also suggest doing the following tests; a) Urine routine examination. b) HbA1C (glycated hemoglobin). c) Random blood sugar levels.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Akhileshwar Singh
Dr. Akhileshwar Singh

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:


Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy