Q. Will long term gluten diet result in celiac disease?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

I am 25 years old. I have no family history with celiac disease. I have quitted eating gluten foods altogether because I have had some bloating, gastrointestinal problems, weight loss, and yellow stools. But then also now I have noticed that I have had liver or gallbladder pains which I ignored for years. Because of smoking pot daily I forgot about the pain. I read that the liver and gallbladder can cause some gastrointestinal problems like celiac due to bile problems like weight loss, etc.

I lose more weight if I am physically working hard or gym. But I gain weight if I do not go to the gym. And yes, I am gluten-free now but if I become physically active I lose weight. I have anemia, liver pain or gallbladder pain after eating fatty foods. I really want to eat gluten foods again I feel like I have been lying to myself. No one in my family has had celiac disease. When I was full on gluten diet I have never had celiac, dermatitis, etc. And I do not have a lot of bloats but if I eat fatty foods I do get a little. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Well, the symptoms you mention are vague and believe me these symptoms can occur in 10+ diseases of the abdomen, but can also occur without having any disease. These symptoms can occur sometimes as physiological changes of the body to food, environment, exercise, and usual lifestyle.

The celiac disease commonly presents with diarrhea once someone takes gluten-based diets. Secondly, it causes weight loss and never weight gain. I have a strong feeling that you do not have celiac disease. But just to confirm, I suggest some blood tests. Get it done and show me the reports once available.

Gas and bloating.

Complete blood count. Anti TTG (tissue transglutaminase), IgA, and IgG. TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

follow up with me once the reports are available.

|