Q. Operated for cervical cancer. Explain about the current stage of the tumour ?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Hello Doctor,

• My mother was operated on 18th July for cervical cancer (Wertheim's Hysterectomy).
  • The operation was successful and she is fine and recovering.
  • After the surgical biopsy, they declared it as stage 2B.
  • Further we sent her slides to the laboratory for review and there they found the left parametrium free and right parametrium with few tumour cells that are non-reactive.
  • The report states, "right parametrium show few tumour cells, however no reaction is seen against these tumour cells, thereby interpreted as floater".
  • Can you please throw some light as to what do the above statement means in the lab report?
  • What impact does this statement make in relation to the staging of tumour?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

I went through the reports and my opinion is as follows:

Diagnosis is that of squamous cell carcinoma of cervix, moderately differentiated, non-keratinizing type. Your mother has undergone Wertheim's hysterectomy, also called radical hysterectomy. This is the surgical procedure of removal of the womb along with some of the surrounding structures. Tumour cells, at any location induce inflammation. They are foreign cells, so some amount of inflammation will be found around the tumour tissue. During the time of taking bits of tissue for histopathology reporting, some tumour sections stay back in the sectioning area. These can attach to other areas and can present as tumour tissue. These are called as floaters. Parametrium is the fibrous tissue that separates the cervix from the bladder.

The above mentioned tissue is found in the right parametrium and hence interpreted as floaters. Also during sectioning times, tissue overlapping can occur.

Here the tumour tissue is attached to the parametrium, thereby being interpreted as parametrium invasion and hence changing the stage of the tumour. Unless tumor cells with surrounding inflammation are present, they would be floaters. Here it is only an overlap. Lymph nodes are not involved. So further treatment will not be necessary.

Consult a surgical oncologist online for further follow up -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-oncologist

| 

All about Cervical Cancer

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail about cervical cancer, one of the most common illnesses in women these days. Read Article

Dr. Noela David Andrew David
Medical Oncologist

Every year, many women above the age of 40 are being diagnosed and treated for cervical cancer. If detected early, this disease can be treated. Every woman needs to be consciously aware of this condition, and timely screening helps identify this illness earlier. Thus, your doctor will be able to giv...  Read Article

My mom had hysterectomy for adenocarcinoma. Is radiation therapy compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother had complex endometrial hyperplasia for which surgery was fixed and last week, hysterectomy along with salpingo-oophorectomy and pelvic lymphonodectomy was done. After surgery, the parts were sent for histopathology. It was diagnosed as stage-2 endometrial adenocarcinoma. The...  Read Full »

Conquering Cervical Cancer

Article Overview: Cancer cervix (mouth of the womb or uterus) is one of the leading causes of death due to cancer in women. Read on this article to know how to conquer cervical cancer. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena

Virtually all types of cervical cancers are caused by high risk types of HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) which is usually spread through sexual contact. Hence, in effect the HPV vaccines can prevent 70 percent of cervical cancers before exposure to HPV (i.e, before onset of sexual activity). These...  Read Article

Ask a Surgical Oncologist Now