Q. What causes pain and swelling on the back of the head, along with clicking sounds while opening the mouth?

Dr. C. Elanchezhian

I am having pain and swelling on the back of my head on the left side. Also, when I open my mouth, I hear a clicking sound, and I have pain. The pain increases when I turn my head to the left side. I have used the tablet Zerodol P; however, the pain recurs when I stop using the tablet.

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

You seem to have cervical spondylosis. Do you work for long hours before the computer or do any other physical work? I suggest you get an X-ray cervical spine (anteroposterior or lateral view) or CT (computed tomography) of the neck. Also, you can consult a neurologist or orthopedic doctor. Meanwhile, I suggest the below treatment plan:

• Tablet Zerodol P (Aceclofenac and Paracetamol) twice daily.
  • Tablet Myospaz (Paracetamol and Chlorzoxazone).
  • Physiotherapy for five days.

Consult a specialist doctor, talk to him or her, and start the medicines with their consent.

The probable cause is cervical spondylosis.

Thank you for the response.

I only do exercises sometimes.

#

You can do shoulder exercises to relax the neck muscle. However, do them slowly, and do not stiffen the neck. Also, avoid using big and high pillows.

|