Q. Is there any way I can prevent getting chicken pox?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

My sister has chicken pox, and I have never had it before. Exam season is coming and I am worried that I might get chicken pox. My sister lives in the same house as me. Is there any way I can prevent getting chicken pox and is there a high chance of me getting chicken pox. I understand, that this virus is highly contagious but I am worried this may interfere with school. If I do get chicken pox, how long would it take for it to scab? Also, how long would it take for the scabbing to disappear, since I am very self-conscious? I look forward to a quick reply.

#

It is highly probable that you will get infected unless your sister has been in isolation. There first few days of the rash are most infectious. When the scabs are formed infectivity is gone. It takes about two weeks or more for all the blisters to scab off so in case you are infected, I will say off school for two to three weeks. Hope this helps. But hoping you would not get infected. Avoid sharing a room or an enclosed space.

For more information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

| 

Does chickenpox spread through breast milk?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old and a mother of 7 months old baby. Recently, I have got infected with herpes zoster virus on my back. It is a small patch above my waist. Doctor told me to stop breastfeeding for a week. But, my baby is exclusively breastfed till now and not taking bottle feed after seve...  Read Full »

How to avoid chickenpox scar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 34 year old female. It started with two days of fever and body pain. I developed blisters and spots. My doctor diagnosed it as chickenpox. I have a few red spots and blisters on my face. I am taking Acivir 400 DT thrice, Azithromycin once daily and Cetirizine 10. I am also applying...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a General Practitioner Now