Q. A 14-year-old skips food often. Is it fine?

Dr. Amit Jauhari

I am worried about my daughter. She is 14 years old and suffers from anxiety, often triggered by being in a crowd or busy environment. In recent months she has started avoiding food. She skips breakfast and then does not eat lunch at school. She will, however, eat her tea at home. Even if it is a high-fat meal. She has gone from 9 stone to 8 stone in approximately eight months. She admitted that skipping meals started after a girl at school called her fat. I am not sure if skipping meals classes as an eating disorder but this has gone on too long to be just a phase. Should I be worried?

Do you have a question on Child Behavior or Anxiety?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Amit Jauhari

MD PHYSICIAN., MD PULMONOLOGY
General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

Teenagers go through difficult phases of mental, emotional and physical growth. It is really good that as a parent you are paying full attention, now here are some suggestions. Do not be critical of your child's behavior. Gently try to introduce the idea that health and being thin are separate. If the child is unable or unwilling to eat proper breakfast or lunch, ask what they would prefer. Use the internet to show the required calories and their sources, try substituting healthy food with her choice and consent. Talk to the school counselor and maybe their help can solve the issue.

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?
Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). As far as your questions are concerned, the following are my answers. Just go on an empty stomach so that if required, they can do an endoscopy. All the tests can be performed on an empty stomach. I personal...  Read Full »

Can anxiety and stress cause frequent urination?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. First of all, I like to state that the stress and anxiety can affect almost every organ of the body and polyuria is not an exception. In other words, yes the stress can cause almost all the symptoms narrated in your qu...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now