Q. My recent reports showed high levels of TSH and cholesterol. What to do?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I recently got a full body check-up done, and I discovered that I have several deficiencies, which include vitamin D, Vitamin B12, iron, and folic acid. Also, my TSH and cholesterol levels are high. I do not like nonvegetarian food and milk. Is it fine if I start Nutrilite D and Nutrilite natural B tablets? I am attaching my test reports.

#

I have seen your test reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You can take these multivitamin supplements.
  • Your TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is mildly elevated, it does not need any treatment if it is below 10, unless you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
  • Also, you will need anti-TPO (thyroperoxidase) antibody test, and if it is positive, then you will need thyroid supplements.
  • For other vitamin deficiencies, you can continue Nutrilite supplements, but for vitamin D deficiency, I suggest using tablet Uprise D3 60000 units once a week for eight weeks, then you can start Nutrilite D for maintenance. Also, increase green leafy vegetable intake, as it helps in both iron and vitamins.
  1. Avoid fatty, oily, and high-calorie diet.
  2. Avoid sweetened beverages and packaged food.
  3. Regular exercises like brisk walking and jogging, according to your capacity, for at least 30 minutes a day and five days a week.
  4. Take a lot of green leafy vegetables, fruits, fish once or twice a week, and avoid meat.
  • Repeat cholesterol test after three months, if it is responding, then continue the same or else you may need medicine.

Hope this helps you, and get back if you have any doubts.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks a lot for the advice. I have three more questions. I took the first Uprise D3 60000 capsule last night after dinner, now I will take it next week. What is the best time of the day to take the capsule? Can I begin the Nutrilite B supplements? The ingredients list for Natural B reads it contains seven essential vitamins B (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, folic acid, and B12). It also contains Inositol and PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid). Will it react in any way with the Uprise D3 60k that I am taking? For other iron and folic acid deficiencies, I think I will just improve my diet and not take any supplements because I do not want to take too many pills. Is it a good decision? I have not yet taken the anti-TPO antibody test. I will update you once I do it. Thanks again.

#

• Uprise D3 should be taken with the largest meal of the day, which is usually lunch. So, have it after lunch. If you are taking Uprise after lunch, then have Nutrilite B with dinner, so interaction will be minimal.
  • For your third doubt, your hemoglobin is normal, so there is no severe deficiency, thus diet modification will do. It is indeed a good decision.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|