Q. Can CKD cause respiratory problems?

Dr. Vandana Andrews

My father is 61 years old known case of CKD with hypertension. He has been on dialysis for a couple of weeks, sum total of ten dialysis have been done out of which one dialysis was done using an online hemodiafiltration technique. His creatinine has subsequently reduced from 8.6 to 6.5, however, he had pneumonia patch in the right lung and took antibiotics and has recovered from that. But he has been coughing quite a lot with only secretions coming out and no sputum. There is some fluid in his lungs for which he has been advised to go for HDF and mild pericardial effusion. AFB for TB is negative. Can you please suggest what can be the cause of severe coughing, shortness of breath and the treatment for the same? If needed, I can send out the x-ray to you for evaluation.

He is currently on Flavedon, Minipress XL, Metolar XR, Torsemide 40, Vitamins, and Calcium tablets. His lab report shows TLC is raised to 12 which was earlier 5. Please help.

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Internal Medicine
#

There could be a few causes for the wet cough with phlegm. Despite taking antibiotics for pneumonia, the opacity in the lung takes a few weeks to completely disappear. The cough in such a case can last for a month. If the patient has no fever I will not worry.

CHF (congestive heart failure) is also one of the causes in elderly patients in addition to environmental factors. I would advise you to continue supporting treatment for cough as advised by your doctor. If there is fever in such a case you must report back to the doctor to rule out any other cause. If the x-ray reviled plural effusion then probably other continuation like TB (tuberculosis), etc., should be considered.

You can send me the chest x-ray to comment better.

| 

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full »

I am having cough and chest congestion for the last three days. Is this pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having cough and chest congestion for the last three days. Also getting a mild fever again and again. I also have a chest X-ray done today only. Please suggest is it pneumonia and if yes how severe is it?  Read Full »

Can you help me analyze my father's serum and urine immunofixation tests?

Query: Hello doctor, I am asking this question on behalf of my dad, who is 60 years old, 5 feet 9 inches, and 173 lbs. He was recently diagnosed with stage three chronic kidney disease. He also recently received an abnormal result on a serum immunofixation test, which I know can be an indicator of multiple...  Read Full »

Ask a Nephrologist Now