Q. Is my nasal allergy pointing to rhinitis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have nasal allergies which can trigger sneezing and a runny nose along with sneezing when I come in contact with dust. However, I constantly have thick post nasal drip mucus that covers my vocal chords and makes my voice very weak all the time. My nose has not felt 100 % open in years. Also, I have trouble hearing because of trapped fluid in my ears. Does this mean I could have rhinitis on top of my allergies? I am a singer and used to have a very loud resonant voice and now I struggle to even achieve even a portion of that resonance. Currently, I am doing saline cleanse.

#

Your symptoms point towards chronic rhinosinusitis superimposed or worsened by allergy. All symptoms can be explained by this. Singers are more troubled by this condition because they require clear sinonasal cavities for good voice and resonance. I suggest you get some investigations done and I will tell you why. Complete blood count to detect any infection. Total serum IgE to check for allergy (type 1 hypersensitivity or atopy). Non-contrast CT (computed tomography) scan of paranasal sinuses to check for sinus inflammation or fungus or any other condition inside sinuses causing constant secretion of mucus and post nasal drip. A laryngoscopy can also be done to throw some light into the vocal cord and understand if there is any local pathology in vocal cord secondary to the sinus disease or de novo.

If you were to come to me, in addition to the above advice I would start you on the following medicines. An intranasal steroid spray to be taken twice daily in each nasal cavity. An antihistaminic with Montelukast combination taken once daily. A Mucolite medicine to help lighten the mucus and bring it out better. An antacid medicine like Protonix (Pantoprazole) to reduce acid secretion in the stomach and also reflux laryngitis due to it. Lastly, some dietary and lifestyle modifications will also be required. Desist from gargles and steam inhalation.

For more information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

|