Q. I had circumcision two months ago. How long will it take for the swelling to subside?

Dr. Saurabh S Pandya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 12, 2019

I had circumcision two months ago and still have swelling around my penis. I did a CBC and urine test last week, and all came back normal. The doctor last month said all the incision have healed. Will swelling last this long? How long will it take for the swelling to disappear? Should I be concerned? Will night erections affect healing?

#

The healing looks fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The swelling is mostly an extra skin that is bunching up in a non-erect position. When you have an erection, it might be less prominent. If all excess skin were removed, sometimes there would be pain during erection due to the stretching of the skin. I think things will be fine in about another month. Night erections will not affect healing.

I am attaching another photo. I took it while I had an erection. I want to make sure whether this looks normal. There is a specific area that hurts when I touch. I am assuming this should not be a concern and is it normal to have swelling on the tip? Are you saying that the extra skin swelling all around will drop down in another month? Is this normal to see in patients?

#

There is a small swelling at the tip near urethral opening, which looks like a blister (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Either this or the remaining two sutures may be painful. The sutures usually drop off by two to three weeks. In your case, they are still seen. If they are painful, you can consult your doctor to remove them.

Regarding blisters, sometimes the tender skin over glans takes time to adjust, after circumcision. So you can wait for few more days for it to resolve. Often after circumcision, the lower aspect of the suture line is more swollen than the rest and takes more time to become normal. This may be related to delay in new blood vessel formation.

We usually see things becoming fine in about a month. But in your case, this is taking longer time. You can wait for few more days. Also, do not expect results similar to circumcisions done in childhood.

I put scotch tape on penis to regenerate foreskin. Will my babies have birth defects?

Query: Hello doctor, To make a long story short, I used scotch tape and micropore tape respectively on my penis. Two straps of tape were attached to the penis in the form of a cross, so that they met in the tip of the penis' head, while the ends went all the way down to the skin of the shaft. This allowed...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I could not understand what made you do this practice and what benefit would you expect in this practice? There are no scientific studies available to support using this practice. Let me give my opinion. First of all, the mucous membrane is one of the highly sensit...  Read Full

What is the solution for skin being tight over the penis?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband and I have been having sex using a condom and it has been fine. Now we want to conceive and we are having sex without a condom and he experiences pain in his penis which causes him to lose his erection. He also experienced a cut in his penis area which caused bleeding that ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Relax and do not worry. Your husband may have phimosis or short frenulum. Is the skin over the penis head going behind the head smoothly or is it tight? If possible, pull the skin and send me images so that I can see and suggest. This may also be possible if lubr...  Read Full