Q. Can you go through my penile Doppler reports and tell me if there is a problem?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
Published on Nov 24, 2017

I want to know about the penile color Doppler of the cavernosal arteries in erectile dysfunction. The color Doppler of cavernosal arteries was done after an intracavernosal injection of 0.8 ml of Papaverine (30 mg/ml) into the right corpus cavernosum. The initial diameter of the cavernosal artery prior to Papaverine injection was 0.5 mm, and after the injection, it became 0.9 mm. The erection started in three to five minutes and completed after 10 to 12 minutes. A grade-2 erection was noted. The peak systolic velocities reached up to 13 cm/s in 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the diastolic pressure reduced. The flow was present continuously in the dorsal vein. The PSV in a flaccid state was 0 and in the erect state at 5 minutes was 7.45 cm/sec, at 10 minutes was 12.65 cm/sec and at 15 minutes was 8.0 cm/sec. The EDV was 0 and RI was 1 at 5, 10, and 15 minutes. Are these reports good or is there a problem? I am married since 13 months, but not sexually active. Is this the reason for my erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Andrology Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• Often, the color Doppler of cavernosal arteries gives an erroneous result if there is a lack of psychological stimulation. Hence many laboratories use erotic visual stimulation. Having said this, a PSV (peak systolic velocity) of 30 cm/sec is considered normal, but 25 cm/sec is acceptable. Your arterial flow is low.
  • But, from my experience, I can tell you that there may be psychological or physical causes for your sexual problems for which you need blood tests like:
  1. Hb (hemoglobin).
  2. TC (total count).
  3. DC (differential count).
  4. Sugar PP (postprandial).
  5. Prolactin.
  6. TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).
  7. Testosterone.

The causes can include the following:

1. It may be due to stress or anxiety. So, relax and do some exercises and you will be fine.
  2. Stop smoking if you smoke.
  3. Check your BP (blood pressure).
  4. If you are taking any medicine or nutritional supplement on regular basis then it may be due to a side effect of that.
  • Otherwise anxiolytic drugs may help you, but before going for an invasive treatment, you may need to repeat the Doppler test with 60 mg Papaverine, if your blood tests are normal.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

But, the test gives an impression of erectile dysfunction due to arteriogenic etiology. A fluid discharge occurs before intercourse.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

#

• Yes, as the velocity is low, the test will give this impression. But, it should be considered only if the blood tests are normal and there is no improvement with medicines.
  • A quick fluid discharge is premature ejaculation and has no relation with penile Doppler study. It is mostly due to anxiety.

For further queries consult an infertility specialist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

I have premature ejaculation after getting circumcised. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,I had phimosis, so I got circumcised two years ago. But now, I have premature ejaculation after circumcision. I also have loss of sensation in my penis. Before circumcision, I enjoyed masturbating, but now I do not feel such enjoyment. What can I do? Was the decision to get circumcised wro...  Read Full »

I have erectile dysfunction and ejaculation problems. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, My cum is not coming out by force or thrust. The cum is just flowing out of my penis. Three years earlier the cum was coming out by force or thrust. I am having erectile dysfunction may be since last two years or two and half years, and I was not having erectile disfunction earlier. I...  Read Full »

Kindly look into my ultrasound and provide a detailed report.

Query: Hello doctor, Please provide a detailed report for my ultrasound. I am attaching the same.  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now