Q. What can be the reason for my photosensitivity and dry eyes?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I have photosensitivity and sore eyes for last two days. My night vision is also low. I had visual floaters and snow since childhood.

Kindly help.

#

Please give me the answers for the following:

1) Do you wear a glass? If yes, what is the power?

2) Are you working long hours on computers or mobiles? If so, what is your screen time?

3) Is there been an increase in size and number of floaters in the past few days?

Usually, photosensitivity at your age can be due to strained and dry eyes resulting from increased screen time. I suggest you start Refresh tears eye drop six times a day regularly.

Please get back to me with the answers to the questions and send me a close-up picture of your eyes.

Thanks for the response.

I have had floaters since childhood. I do not see any new floaters recently. I spend about 12 hours a day either on a computer or with my phone in the last few months. My eyes are not red or swollen, but they are a little dry.

The light sensitivity was bad yesterday that when I was outside for 20 minutes, wearing a hat and sunglasses, my eyes had a burning pain.

I have attached the prescription for my vision power (-3 and -3.75).

Kindly help.

#

I suggest you the following while working on a screen:

1) Main light should be behind your back.

2) Screen height should be below your eye level.

3) For every 20 minutes, take off your eyes from the screen and look at a distant object for 20 seconds.

4) For every 45 minutes, take a five-minute break.

5) Blink your eyes often.

6) Work on an HD screen.

7) Take more green veggies and colorful fruits to increase antioxidants in your diet.

8) Start Refresh tears (Carboxymethylcellulose sodium) eye drop six times a day. It will solve your problem.

Do not worry.

Thanks for the advice.

Is it weird that I see more after images? For example, if I look at my hand and close my eyes, I can see the outline of my hand with my eyes closed.

Please help.

#

Working for long hours on a white screen can have such effects, especially if you are working in a room with poor lighting or in the dark. Getting after images for some time is normal but beyond few minutes requires attention.

If this persists, we have to consult a vitreoretinal specialist to rule out the underlying retinal lesions.

|