Q. How can I determine my child's father when I am in an open relationship?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

My husband and I are in an open relationship. I had sex with someone at the end of last month, and the condom broke, so on the next day, I went and got a plan B tablet and took it in the morning. I went to my gynecologist a few days later and had a pregnancy blood test, and it was negative. After the test, I had sex with my husband, and now I am pregnant. Who is likely to be the father?

#

I can understand your concern. To get pregnant, the sperms have to be released inside the vagina of the female. These sperms then need to fertilize an egg which may or may not be available depending on the ovulation pattern of the female. The fertilized egg is then required to be implanted in the uterus of the female.

In both cases, the sperms were released. However, it would be really kind of you if you could tell me your menstrual pattern history, i.e., your last menstrual period date and how many days it was for? As this will help me to assess whether you were ovulating near the intercourse dates

now, in the first case, you took an emergency contraceptive pill, and these pills work at three different stages to prevent pregnancy. Firstly it prevents the release of eggs. Secondly, it thickens the cervical mucus to prevent fertilization of eggs, and lastly, it makes the uterus non-suitable for implantation of the egg. Further, an emergency contraceptive pill is almost 99 % effective when taken in time.

Hence most likely, you are pregnant with your husband’s baby. Please share menstrual pattern details for my better assessment. Best wishes. Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information.

|