Q. I am COVID-19 positive. How to manage it?

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

Tested positive for covid 19 over a week ago. I had fever, shortness of breath, chest pain and diarrhea. Currently I have an excruciating headache and chest pain. Have taken Tylenol and advil. Nothing seems to be working.

#

I’m deeply saddened by your illness. Have you already had a chest CT? Pls. have an eye on your breathing frequency. If you have more than 20 breaths per minute, you should seek hospitalization.

As to the headache. Unfortunately Covid can also enter the brain and cause inflammation there. That’s the most likely explanation. I’m normally very skeptical in regards to opioids. But in this case Tramadol would be a good choice for short term use. If this doesn’t help you need to be treated in a hospital.

Please don’t take Tylenol since Acetaminophen is highly liver toxic in high doses and Covid is stressing your liver anyway. And maybe you should switch from Advil to Aspirin 500mg, 3 times a day, because Aspirin also prevents the formation of blood clots, a common complication of Covid. Advil does not have this effect.

What is more: convincing small studies indicate that the OTC medications Famotidin (3x40mg a day) and Clemastin (4x1mg a day) might help to reduce the symptom burden of Covid significantly within 24 to 48 hours. Since they are OTC products and in general well tolerated this might be worth a try. Please be careful. As soon as you feel a sudden deterioration of your condition, please call an ambulance. I wish you a speedy recovery!!!

| 

I have chest pain and acid reflux with raised AST and ALT levels. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently went to the ER for persistent and sharp chest pain. It was diagnosed as a bad acid reflux spell but was told to follow up with a GI doctor in case it was an ulcer. The doctor noted slightly high protein levels but I am looking at my chart and I have high AST and ALT levels....  Read Full »

Will lowering the dose of Tramadol and Priligy reduce the risk of serotonin syndrome?

Query: Hello doctor, I am taking 100 mg Tramadol and 60 mg Priligy (Dapoxetin) for the treatment of premature ejaculation before having sexual intercourse. The result is my intercourse time has increased from two minutes up to 45 minutes without having ejaculation. With Priligy or Tramadol alone it is ar...  Read Full »

How to control diverticulitis pain followed by gallbladder surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had a gallbladder operation last year and an umbilical hernia, then I ended up with diverticulitis a couple of months ago. That pain has never gone away. So I went and got an upper and lower GI done and it was clear. The pain is centered in the upper part of my belly and feels ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»