Q. I am allergic to wines and alcohol. Can I get the COVID vaccine?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

Though I am allergic to wines and alcohol, I have been consuming alcohol for 30 years. Also, I am taking heart medicines and blood thinner. For the last three years, my allergy has worsened. And recently, I found that I am allergic to clove, cinnamon, etc.,

How to treat this?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

Yes, it can be treated. But once you are allergic to some product or food, the best way to prevent an allergic reaction is to avoid that particular food or product. Allergy is a sign or warning that you should not eat or use the product. But if you want to continue, then it is better to take precautions.

I would suggest you take tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once daily after dinner for five days. It will prevent you from allergic reactions.

Kindly answer the following to help you better;

1) Do you get itching or rashes while consuming these products?

2) What symptoms do you get when you eat or use allergic products?

Thanks for the reply.

Whenever I consume alcohol, I fall unconscious for few minutes, and it starts with itching in the palm and slowly involves the whole body. If I take the spices, I get boils in my mouth. Now, for so many months, I am avoiding the items mentioned above. But now my worry is, can I get COVID vaccination? Is there any problem with taking the vaccine?

Please advise.

Thanks.

#

Since you are allergic to alcohol, avoid it thoroughly to get better. And also, you will not have any further symptoms.

Another thing about vaccination is, yes, you can get it if you do not have any allergic reactions currently. Or else, I would suggest you do a complete blood count test with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) to check if there is any current allergy and then go for vaccination. And also, kindly inform them once that you were allergic to these products and get it done.

Which vaccine are you planning to take? Covishield or Covaxin?

Thanks.

|