HomeAnswersUrologydecreased urine outputI have hypertension, diabetes, and reduced urine output. Is there any problem with my kidneys?

Can reduced urine output be due to a kidney problem?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Raja Ramesh

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At July 26, 2023
Reviewed AtSeptember 4, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 54-year-old male suffering from hypertension and diabetes for five years. One week before, my abdomen scanning was done for thin urine flow, and I have attached the reports for you to review. Since yesterday my urine output has been reduced drastically. At a time, only 3.38 fluid ounces of urine is discharged even after drinking two glasses of water. I have a feeling that my bladder is empty even after drinking water. I have no pain during urination and ejaculation. My creatinine during the fever one month before was 1.5 mg/dL. Last week it was 0.97 mg/dL and 1.1 mg/dL in two different laboratories. Is there any problem with my kidneys? Is surgery required for my prostate? Please reply.

Answered by Dr. Raja Ramesh


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I thoroughly read your query and understand your concern. I reviewed your reports (attachments are hidden to protect the patient's identity). You surely have an enlarged prostate. Your creatinine is well within the normal range. Post-void urine is higher. Regarding urine output, you need to pass at least 1.5 L per day. Reduced output during a single void does not have any significance. I suggest you do a uroflowmetry to decide if any treatment for the prostate is required or not. If uroflowmetry results are abnormal, or if you have any of the conditions, consider surgery: Hematuria, recurrent urinary infection, elevated creatinine due to BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia), recurrent urinary retention, no improvement with drugs, or not willing to take drugs daily. If there is any such thing, then proceed with surgery. Else, medical management will suffice.

I hope this has addressed your concern.

Kind regards.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Raja Ramesh
Dr. Raja Ramesh


Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy