Q. What is the reason for slow urinating problem in a diabetic patient?

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

I have a slow urinating problem and I am taking the following medications:

Telma H (OD), Glycomet GP (BD), Atorlip 10 (OD), Urimax 0.4 mg (OD), and Vitamin A to Z (OD), and Human Mixtard Insulin 20 units (OD). I have my health check-up done. Please prescribe suitable diabetic and kidney management medicines.

#

Prostate enlargement can cause an obstruction and slow urine. After the age of 50 prostate starts to grow to variable sizes. Although size does not matter but the shape of the prostate can cause obstruction. Medications can shrink the prostate up to 30% and cause improvement in urine flow. Sometimes small prostate with a high muscular component can cause urinary obstruction as well. Complications of prostate obstruction can be infections and stones so we need ultrasound KUB (kidney,ureter and bladder) and prostate, urine analysis, and culture in addition to PSA (prostate-specific antigen).

You can use a combination therapy instead of Urimax (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) alone which might improve your urinary symptoms. If the medical treatment failed after three months then surgical endoscopic treatment is the choice. Follow up is required with uroflowmetry and bladder scan. For now, you can stop Urimax and use Doudart one capsule once at night.

And for now do investigations ultrasound KUB and prostate, PSA, urine analysis and culture. Then follow up with uroflowmetry and bladder scan after three months.

|