Q. If I take Gestin 5 mg on day 15th of my menstrual cycle, will I get pregnant?

Dr. Tinu Philip
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 05, 2021

I am 28 years old. I got married before two years. I am trying to become pregnant but still, I am suffering from PCOD and irregular periods. Now, I got my periods regularly without taking medicines for three months. I have normal flow only for two days. After the seventh day, I start to have bleeding for a day. After the ninth day, I have slight bleeding after having sex. Can I take Gestin 5 mg on the fifteenth day to become pregnant? Is it possible for me to become pregnant after taking Gestin? I do not have any pregnancy and abortion history. My husband has a 20 million sperm count with sixty percent motility. Please suggest.

#

I understand your concern. You are trying for pregnancy. Taking Gestin will not affect your pregnancy. Gestin is a synthetic progesterone. It is good to take natural progesterone-like Duphaston while trying for pregnancy. It is safer and so it is wise to substitute Gestin with natural progesterone. You have not mentioned in detail regarding your thyroid levels and sugar profile in your history. If you have not done, kindly do it. Reducing your weight by two to three kilograms helps your chances to become pregnant. It is advisable to have regular intercourse between tenth to twenty-third day to increase your chances to become pregnant. If you are not taking any folic acid, kindly start taking it once daily. Duphaston can be taken once daily. If you are still not able to get conceived after three months of trying, then you need further evaluation.

|