iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistrydental cariesMy tooth and gum pain subsides after medication but I cannot tolerate heat. Why?

What is the treatment of tooth and gum pain?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At April 12, 2020
Reviewed AtApril 18, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have tooth and gum ache (not sure where it comes) but on the below right jaw. On day 1, the pain was there continuously and used Naproxen. (I was able to have coffee and tea). On day 2, pain was there then contacted physician on icliniq and suggested Ultracet for 3 days. On day 3, I used Ultracet twice a day, pain was there sometimes (continuous pain gone). On day 4, I used Ultracet twice a day, pain was there sometimes (not able to drink hot coffee). If I take coffee pain comes immediately and after gargling with water it goes away. On day 5, today I had breakfast, had one Ultracet tablet. Pain was there for some time after having breakfast and now it is fine. But I am scared of taking any hot coffee or tea. (now I stopped completely).


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your query and attachment. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I can see some gingival inflammation and also abrasion of teeth near the cervical area. That abrasion is also a cause for severe sensitivity to hot that you are having. Abrasion needs to be treated clinically with restoration. Once this pandemic of Covid-19 gets subside then you can get it treated in a dental clinic.

For time being use Sensoform KF toothpaste. First, apply it on your teeth then keep it for 30-40seconds then brush it as you do daily. This is the way to use sensitivity toothpaste. Use mouthwash for gargling at least at night before going to bed after tooth brushing.

For pain, if severe you can take Ultracet P or if not severe then can continue with Ultracet when needed. It will be better if you upload images of your teeth from the occlusal surface so that I can see any caries or gingival infection.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Kandi Disha Yermal
Dr. Kandi Disha Yermal


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

dental cariesgingivitis

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy