Q. My retainers do not cover wisdom teeth. Please help.

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Aug 10, 2019

I wear Essix retainers at night after braces. Recently, I broke my two front teeth and had them bonded. I had to get new retainers and got them from the clinic but my new retainers do not cover my wisdom teeth. I have all 32 of my teeth. Is there a risk of my wisdom teeth hyper erupting?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

The night only wear of retainers will not cause over eruption of wisdom teeth, as during daytime you will have a normal bite. However, you might feel a slight change in bite as you remove your retainers in the morning. It does settle down within a short period. Usually, third molars are not included in the retainers. And patients wear them quite comfortably without any side effects such as over eruption. However, if you feel uncomfortable, you can request the dentist to make a new set of retainers that cover your wisdom teeth as well.

My teeth are crooked after using retainers only at night. Should I get braces again?

Query: Hello doctor, One of my teeth started moving backward as soon as I started wearing my retainer just at night. It got painful to put the retainer back in, and so I stopped wearing it. I am terrified of orthodontists and dentists, and so did not let my orthodontist know. Now, two of my teeth has move...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prerna Jain
Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To correct the relapse of orthodontic treatment, there are two options. It depends on how much tooth movement is required. If it is one or two teeth requiring 1 mm or less tooth movement, an active retainer can be given. If it is more teeth or a greater amount of...  Read Full

My teeth have become overlapped after orthodontic treatment. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a complex case, as stated by my dentist. I had braces five years ago, but my teeth went back to their previous state, overlapped, like they were tightly fit into a small place, apparently because of the shape of my mouth. Also, I have fear from getting braces the second time, t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can exactly tell you about your case on seeing radiographs and clinical pictures of teeth if you can provide. While, your query is telling me you had a relapse of orthodontic treatment. Now you have two options. 1. Go for invisible tray ortho treatment (in which invi...  Read Full

I got my braces removed earlier. Should I get braces again?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I had braces a few years ago. I got them out early because I thought my teeth would have become straight, which I totally regret. I did not get a retainer for teeth. I do not like my teeth whatsoever. Can I get braces again?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your complaint and relevant details. You sound like your teeth have returned to the original position. The reason, as you are already aware of, is because of not using the retainers. You should also know the fact that as the word implies the retainers ...  Read Full

Ask an Orthodontist Now