Q. Can patients with diabetes consume glucose powder if they feel tired and thirsty?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

If I have diabetes, can I consume glucose powder? I have had diabetes for three years, and I am on medications. However, I frequently become tired and thirsty in the middle of the day for no apparent cause. Can I take glucose at that time?

#

I understand your concern.

If your blood glucose is not effectively regulated, you may experience fatigue regularly. It is impossible to determine how excellent or terrible the control is because you have not indicated anything regarding fasting, postprandial (PP) blood sugar levels, or HbA1c (average blood glucose sugar levels for the last two to three months). Taking glucose is dangerous for diabetes since it causes a sudden spike in blood glucose levels. It may be necessary only when hypoglycemia (a condition in which the blood glucose level falls below the normal range) develops. Glucotabs (fast acting chewable dextrose tablets) is the most common type. Please ensure that your blood glucose levels are adequately regulated so that such issues do not arise. One is in good control when FBG (fasting blood glucose) is 100 mg, PP is 150 to 160 mg, and HbA1c is 6.5 percent.

|