Q. I have traces of sugar in urine. Does it mean diabetes?

Dr. Nitin Dongre
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I am a male of 59 years. Diabetic for 7 years and hypertensive for 19 years. My HbA1c always will be below 7 and creatinine at 0.9 that is minimum. Recently, I undergone microalbuminuria spot urine test which showed 141 mg/L, and complete urine analysis showed all the parameters negative including protein in the urine, but traces of sugar. From this, should I be worried about kidney disease? Please comment. I am currently taking the following medicines. Vog GM 2 morning and night, Zita Met plus morning, Olmezest beta 50 one in the morning, Olmesar 20 mg night, and Ecosprin AV 150 mg at night.

Dr. Nitin Dongre

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

As you said your HbA1c is below 7, so it means your mean blood glucose level must be less than 180 mg. If it is so then your kidney is having the power to excrete the sugar. But, you stated there are traces of sugar in your urine. If you had done your HbA1c more then 60 days back then please get it done again and check what is your mean glucose level. It is always mentioned below your HbA1c reading and if less then 180 nothing to worry. But, if it is more then 180 then you need to control your sugar level. Please go through as advised below.

Uncontrolled diabetes.

Renal profile and HbA1c.

Early renal involvement.

Type II diabetes mellitus.

Continue with the same medicines you are taking. It can only be changed once we get the tests done.

Increase your physical activity. Do walking about 3 to 5 km per day. Avoid all type of sweets. Learn to say no when visiting your relatives or friends when they offer any sweet.

Please consult once tests done.

| 

Related Video

Is HbA1c test more reliable than a blood sugar test taken at home?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 35-year-old female. Is HbA1c test at a primary physician's lab reliable? I recently got my annual physical and lab tests done at a new primary physician's office (practicing since five years). The results show I have a glucose of 109 mg/dL and hemoglobin A1c of 6.8 %. My TSH is 5...  Read Full »

Diabetes - How Aware Are You?

Article Overview: This simple quiz is to test your knowledge about diabetes. This quiz is an easy way for one to learn diabetes management. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal
Diabetologist

Score: In this questionnaire, how many answers you got right? 1-3 : You need to know more about diabetes. 4-6 : You need to know more about various aspects of the disease, some parts of which you already know. >6  : You just need to stay updated. Talk to your diabetologist regularly to...  Read Article

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask a General Practitioner Now