Q. I feel heaviness in my legs whenever I walk a few steps. Why?

Dr. Renjit George Marcus

I am a 78-year-old male. My weight is 80 kg approximately, amd my height is 5.5 feet. During the last three months, I am facing difficulty in walking. This started one day after taking a walk, my feet swelled near the ankle area, this subsided after taking rest. However, after that incident, when I stand on my feet and walk a few steps, I feel weight increasing from my foot to ankle and then to calf/knee. I feel the weight on my feet and I am unable to walk further. I also feel dizziness and weakness when I stand. The problem is mainly on the right side than the left.

#

I am sorry to hear about your pain. Did you happen to twist your leg or foot while walking? Do you have pain when you press the ankle? From what you say, it appears to be a neglected ankle sprain or an undisplaced fracture for which you should take an x-ray and see.

Another possibility is blocked blood vessel in the leg which can happen due to a clot. Its possibility is high as you have BP. Also, there is a blackish discoloration of your ankle. If that discoloration is a new one you should do a Doppler ultrasound of your lower limb.

Trauma during walking.

X-ray ankle AP and lateral view.

Vascular claudication.

Ankle sprain or fracture.

Use a crepe bandage while walking. Do ankle muscle strengthening exercises if the x-ray is normal.

Avoid walking more on uneven surface.

Review with x-ray.

|