Q. My dentist did not wash his hands before putting on gloves. Could he have infected me?

Dr. Tooba Qazi
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 23, 2021

I just went to the dentist for general cleaning. My dentist is great and very hygenic. Today when he came into the room, he washed his hands and put on gloves. Halfway through, he needed to go and check on another patient. He took his gloves off and left the room. I do not know his he needed to treat or just talk to the other patient. He came back to my room and put new gloves on but did not wash his hands and continued. He, of course, would have washed his hands in the other room. I have anxiety about my health and worry about contracting something like HIV or hepatitis. While he was cleaning my gums, there was bleeding, and I am worried that maybe there was cross-infection. Am I right thinking that it would be unlikely that he could have infected me with something like HIV or hepatitis this way?

#

That is great that you are cautious about hygiene. But it is perfectly fine. Your doctor would have definitely washed his hands before wearing the gloves. Secondly, HIV or hepatitis C viruses do not act on other people in seconds. It takes months or years to become active and then starts with some symptoms after years. This will not be the case. Bleeding during scaling is very common when tartar is removed at the boundaries of gums. It promotes healthier gum production later. For being clear about any viruses, you can get your relevant blood tests done like CBC (complete blood count), HIV tests done that will definitely rule out this thing in your mind.

Take care.

Stay blessed and happy.

Feel free to ask any further queries.

|