Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. My right ear is blocked for more than two weeks. Please suggest a solution.

Answered by
Dr. Shyam Kalyan N
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 09, 2020

Hello doctor,

My right ear is blocked for more than two weeks and it is not opening, whatever I may try. I am currently taking Itraconazole and Levocetirizine.

Dr. Shyam Kalyan N

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)


Welcome to

Is there any other complaint like ear discharge or giddiness? Are you taking any local ear drops? Are the medicines you mentioned prescribed by some doctor or self medicines? Do you have any associated nose block or throat pain? Is it possible that water could have entered the ear and swollen up the wax inside?

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I have no giddiness. I have not used any ear drops. I just used coconut oil once into my ear after the blockage which did not work. The medicines which I am taking is prescribed by a doctor for fungal infection between my legs, which is now cured but still having doses for two more days.

I do not have any nose block but the cough is there sometimes when I wake up in the morning. No pain anywhere, neither in the throat nor in nose. I guess water has not entered into my ear. Whenever I press my teeth, my ear opens then closes again. No pain in the ear, it is just blocked.

Dr. Shyam Kalyan N

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)


Welcome back to

Based on the information you gave, it is not possible to diagnose your condition exactly. Nevertheless, I would suspect either of the two below:

1. Wax.

2. Eustachian tube catarrh.

What I would suggest is use Ciplox (Ciprofloxacin) ear drops three drops thrice daily in the affected ear for four days, continue Cetirizine 5, once in the evening for four days, Otrivin nasal drops two drops thrice daily in each nostril for four days to relieve the eustachian tube block (it is a nose drop, not for ear). Steam inhalation through the nose for a few minutes after Otrivin nose drops.

Follow the above and review after four days before stopping the medicines.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What can be done to manage sinusitis with ear blockage and nasal drip?
How can the feeling of pressure inside the ear be relieved?
Can I use earbuds to remove ear wax?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can you suggest some medicine for ear blockage?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from a left ear blockage, and it happens to me many times. Blockages get open when I move my jaw. I am suffering from this issue for the past two to three years, but not regularly. Commonly, I used to get it after swimming and due to cold. I am not taking any medicine ri...  Read Full »

My right ear is slightly blocked. Please suggest a remedy.

Query: Hello doctor, Two days back, I had a severe pain in my right ear. One fine evening, the pain went severe starting from the head till the chin. I had visited an ENT doctor who removed a lot of earwax through EUM suction procedure. Since then, I got relief from the pain. But, I feel my right ear is s...  Read Full »

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an ENT Otolaryngologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.