Q. My right ear is blocked for more than two weeks. Please suggest a solution.

My right ear is blocked for more than two weeks and it is not opening, whatever I may try. I am currently taking Itraconazole and Levocetirizine.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Is there any other complaint like ear discharge or giddiness? Are you taking any local ear drops? Are the medicines you mentioned prescribed by some doctor or self medicines? Do you have any associated nose block or throat pain? Is it possible that water could have entered the ear and swollen up the wax inside?

| 

I have no giddiness. I have not used any ear drops. I just used coconut oil once into my ear after the blockage which did not work. The medicines which I am taking is prescribed by a doctor for fungal infection between my legs, which is now cured but still having doses for two more days.

I do not have any nose block but the cough is there sometimes when I wake up in the morning. No pain anywhere, neither in the throat nor in nose. I guess water has not entered into my ear. Whenever I press my teeth, my ear opens then closes again. No pain in the ear, it is just blocked.

#

Based on the information you gave, it is not possible to diagnose your condition exactly. Nevertheless, I would suspect either of the two below:

1. Wax.

2. Eustachian tube catarrh.

What I would suggest is use Ciplox (Ciprofloxacin) ear drops three drops thrice daily in the affected ear for four days, continue Cetirizine 5, once in the evening for four days, Otrivin nasal drops two drops thrice daily in each nostril for four days to relieve the eustachian tube block (it is a nose drop, not for ear). Steam inhalation through the nose for a few minutes after Otrivin nose drops.

Follow the above and review after four days before stopping the medicines.

|