Q. Can ear drops cure an infection in the inner ear wall?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 07, 2020

Hi ,

MY query is i suffer from chronic ear infection. This time when ear infection started i started taking ear drops preemptively which worked for me. But the problem is infection is in the inner walls which keeps coming back after out walls are healed and i stop taking drops for 2 weeks. Now i want to ask can ear drops cure inner infection too if i keep taking my drops. Dexatob/Clotrim

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

There is a possibility that there is a chronic infection in the middle ear which is located beyond your ear drum.

In such a situation plain ear drops will not treat the infection completely. You will require oral antibiotics to completely treat the infection failing which the ear discharge will keep recurring again.

I recommend you to start the following treatment

1. Tab augmentin 625mg one tab three times a day after food for next 1 week
  2. Tab lcz 10mg one tab in the night for 1 week.

Make sure you keep you ear dry and don't let any water to enter. Place a sterile cotton in the ear entrance of the ear canal and change the cotton every 6 hrs. Make sure you don't clean the ear using ear buds or any foreign object as it can introduce infection into the ear. I hope I have answered your query. If there is anything you need to know or want to enquire, please do let us know and we will get back to you ASAP.

Warm regards!

| 

I feel pressure inside my ear. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old female and 160 pounds and at a height of 5’6". I have been having a problem with my left ear. I woke up one morning and felt that it was clogged and made the mistake of using a Q-tip which resulted in my being unable to pop my ear. That was over a week ago. I ...  Read Full »

What to do for inner ear infection, sinusitis and vertigo?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have an inner ear infection. I went to the doctor last year and he asked me about my symptoms. I told him and he said I had a viral thing in which he gave me antibiotics to take which I did not take. When I got my summary it is said that I had sinusitis. Now until this day m...  Read Full »

What can I do to relieve the ear pain that appeared after I used ear scoop?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 18 years old. Last night I used an ear scoop and scratched the inside of my ear too hard. I saw a little blood. It was a little sore, but now 24 hours later there is an unbearable pain in that ear. I could not sleep. I cannot access to the hospital until late tomorrow. Can I do anyth...  Read Full »