Middle Ear Infection

What is the role of allergy in eustachian tube dysfunction?

Query: Hello doctor, Could you please explain me the role of allergies in the function of the eustachian tube and the state of the middle ear chamber? As potential effectiveness of allergy happens while treating a chronic case of eustachian tube dysfunction, mild approaches to treat this proved ineffectiv...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclinq.com. Eustachian tube (ET) opening allows the passage of air into the middle ear. The middle ear is a chamber that has to maintain a certain volume of air in it for normal hearing function. For the air to go away from the middle ear, it requires further air flow from the eu...  Read Full »

How long will it take for a middle ear infection to get cured?

Query: Hi doctor, My 3 years and 8 month old kid has a middle ear infection from the past ten days. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic, but it is not cured. How long can I wait for it to get cured?  Read Full »

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the reports you have uploaded (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems that your child has an acute middle ear infection which is very common in kids until the age of six years. It usually happens following a cold or upper respiratory tract i...  Read Full »

How to Unclog your ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I woke up five days ago with clogging in my ears. Stupidly, I went with one of the first solutions I found online and poured hydrogen peroxide in my ear. It is now stuck in my ear canal and I cannot get it out. I have tried Swim-ear drops, ear candle, wax removal kit and shaking my hea...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How sure are you it is wax that caused the blocked ears? If you are absolutely sure, you can put the wax dissolving drops and, it will act on the wax, temporarily swell it and then dissolve it. Or, it will make the wax soft enough for easy removal by a doctor using...  Read Full »

Can ruptured eardrum cause jaw pain and numbness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently trying to get over my seasonal sinus infection. However, after taking a nap a couple of days ago, I lost most hearing in my left ear. I went back to the urgent care and was told I had a ruptured eardrum. I was given drops to put in my ear. However, I cannot help but not...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have a ruptured drum, 1. Do not put ear drops. 2. Do not let water enter the ears. 3. Visit an ENT soon. 4. Assess the size of perforation. 5. Ask ENT if it will heal spontaneously. Some perforations are small and heal on their own in healthy individuals, b...  Read Full »

What should be done if there is viscous fluid discharge from ears?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 19 year old male. Some type of viscous liquid comes out of my ears and when it dries up, it hardens. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Viscous fluid coming out of ears indicates a middle ear infection. It has to be attended to immediately to avoid damage to the ear. I request you to meet an ENT specialist at the earliest to prevent further damage. In the meantime, you can take tablet Levocetirizine 1...  Read Full »

What could be causing resonance of ear and nose?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having resonance in the ear and nose since three months now. It all started with a bad sinus attack. I got my IgE test done and the result shows level 1000. Also, I had an MRI. It showed some polyps in the maxillary sinus. I had also got an NCV test, which showed slight palsy...  Read Full »

Dr. A.k.srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Due to prolong and severe sinusitis, your eustachian tube got edematous. This in turn had developed negative pressure in the middle ear. This stage is named as eustachian catarrh. In your case, this had progressed to secretary otitis media and ...  Read Full »

What is the effect of tympanotomy and tympanoplasty in hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor,  My mother has more than 70% hearing loss in the left ear. The doctor has recommended tympanotomy or tympanoplasty. Is it effective? My mother is 55 years old. Would she get any benefit from this surgery? Is there any complication associated with it? Is there any non-surgical procedur...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend you to undergo a test called tympanometry in which we will come to know if there is any collection of fluid in the middle ear or if there is any damage to the bone of the middle ear. Also, let me know what kind of hearing loss she has. Is it conduct...  Read Full »

My 3 year old daughter failed her OAE test. Is that due to hearing loss?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 3 years old. She failed OAE testing at 3 years of age. She has issues with articulation and has been in speech therapy for over a year. Scores are 1% for understandability. Our audiologist did not tell us much. Can I get your insight into my daughter's audiogram?  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your daughter's audiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows a conductive hearing loss, but the ear is not mentioned. The cause seems to be some middle ear disease only. Please tell me about her subjective hearing. Is there any hearing loss she experie...  Read Full »

Why i am hearing some swishing noise in my ear?

Query: Hi doctor, I have this insane swishing noise every time I move my head or eyes. I feel like I am going to pass out. Even opening some doors does it, if they create pressure from pulling.  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since the movement is worsening the symptoms, it must be an inner ear problem. There could be additionally middle ear block or eustachian tube block as the pressure change worsening it. However, since you have not mentioned the duration, I am mentioning all possib...  Read Full »

What is the cause of ear pain with cold and cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old male, and I have pain in the ear from today afternoon. I do not have any liquid discharge from the ear, but the pain is increasing with passing time. At night, the pain is very intense.I can hear all voices clearly, but my ear is paining a lot. I do not understand the r...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your ear pain is probably due to a middle ear infection with Eustachian tube blockage. Did you suffer from any nasal congestion or throat infection in the recent past? I suggest taking Paracetamol for pain and follow-up with the required information, so that I can sugg...  Read Full »