Middle Ear Infection

How is an infection in the inner ear wall treated?

Query: Hi , MY query is i suffer from chronic ear infection. This time when ear infection started i started taking ear drops preemptively which worked for me. But the problem is infection is in the inner walls which keeps coming back after out walls are healed and i stop taking drops for 2 weeks. Now i ...  Read Full »

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Answer: Hi, There is a possibility that there is a chronic infection in the middle ear which is located beyond your ear drum. In such a situation plain ear drops will not treat the infection completely. You will require oral antibiotics to completely treat the infection failing which the ear discharge wil...  Read Full »

Why did my tinnitus not improve even after surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33 year old male. Two years back I had severe running nose and could not breathe through nose, especially during the night. Then, I was diagnosed with antrochoanal polyp in my right nose. After taking medications I no longer felt cold and running nose. However, my right nostril...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The nasal blockage did not cause tinnitus and hence, it is not relieved. The FESS surgery (functional endoscopic sinus surgery) you had was for nasal blockage and its consequences of auditory tube blockage and middle ear fluid retention. Now after surgery, your nose i...  Read Full »

My daughter is diagnosed with middle ear infection. How to clear it up?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter is 17 years old. She had a cold for about four days when she started complaining of bad ear pain. She was seen in urgent care a week ago and was diagnosed with a middle ear infection. The APRN noted her ear was pretty angry and prescribed Amoxicillin 500 mg. She is suppo...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Complete the course of antibiotics. Take Mucinex D (Guaifenesin) once or twice a day, like how you have been taking for another three to four days. If Mucinex D has an antiallergic component then no need for Claritin or Allegra. Otherwise, add either of those to be ta...  Read Full »

What is the role of allergy in eustachian tube dysfunction?

Query: Hello doctor, Could you please explain me the role of allergies in the function of the eustachian tube and the state of the middle ear chamber? As potential effectiveness of allergy happens while treating a chronic case of eustachian tube dysfunction, mild approaches to treat this proved ineffectiv...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclinq.com. Eustachian tube (ET) opening allows the passage of air into the middle ear. The middle ear is a chamber that has to maintain a certain volume of air in it for normal hearing function. For the air to go away from the middle ear, it requires further air flow from the eu...  Read Full »

How long will it take for a middle ear infection to get cured?

Query: Hi doctor, My 3 years and 8 month old kid has a middle ear infection from the past ten days. The doctor prescribed an antibiotic, but it is not cured. How long can I wait for it to get cured?  Read Full »

Dr. Fazil Shajahan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the reports you have uploaded (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems that your child has an acute middle ear infection which is very common in kids until the age of six years. It usually happens following a cold or upper respiratory tract i...  Read Full »

How to Unclog your ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I woke up five days ago with clogging in my ears. Stupidly, I went with one of the first solutions I found online and poured hydrogen peroxide in my ear. It is now stuck in my ear canal and I cannot get it out. I have tried Swim-ear drops, ear candle, wax removal kit and shaking my hea...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. How sure are you it is wax that caused the blocked ears? If you are absolutely sure, you can put the wax dissolving drops and, it will act on the wax, temporarily swell it and then dissolve it. Or, it will make the wax soft enough for easy removal by a doctor using...  Read Full »

Can ruptured eardrum cause jaw pain and numbness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently trying to get over my seasonal sinus infection. However, after taking a nap a couple of days ago, I lost most hearing in my left ear. I went back to the urgent care and was told I had a ruptured eardrum. I was given drops to put in my ear. However, I cannot help but not...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you have a ruptured drum, 1. Do not put ear drops. 2. Do not let water enter the ears. 3. Visit an ENT soon. 4. Assess the size of perforation. 5. Ask ENT if it will heal spontaneously. Some perforations are small and heal on their own in healthy individuals, b...  Read Full »

What should be done if there is viscous fluid discharge from ears?

Query: Dear doctor, I am a 19 year old male. Some type of viscous liquid comes out of my ears and when it dries up, it hardens. Please help me.  Read Full »

Dr. Suneetha B S

Diabetologist, Family Physician, Microbiologist, Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Viscous fluid coming out of ears indicates a middle ear infection. It has to be attended to immediately to avoid damage to the ear. I request you to meet an ENT specialist at the earliest to prevent further damage. In the meantime, you can take tablet Levocetirizine 1...  Read Full »

What could be causing resonance of ear and nose?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having resonance in the ear and nose since three months now. It all started with a bad sinus attack. I got my IgE test done and the result shows level 1000. Also, I had an MRI. It showed some polyps in the maxillary sinus. I had also got an NCV test, which showed slight palsy...  Read Full »

Dr. A K Srivastava

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Due to prolong and severe sinusitis, your eustachian tube got edematous. This in turn had developed negative pressure in the middle ear. This stage is named as eustachian catarrh. In your case, this had progressed to secretary otitis media and ...  Read Full »

What is the effect of tympanotomy and tympanoplasty in hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor,  My mother has more than 70% hearing loss in the left ear. The doctor has recommended tympanotomy or tympanoplasty. Is it effective? My mother is 55 years old. Would she get any benefit from this surgery? Is there any complication associated with it? Is there any non-surgical procedur...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would recommend you to undergo a test called tympanometry in which we will come to know if there is any collection of fluid in the middle ear or if there is any damage to the bone of the middle ear. Also, let me know what kind of hearing loss she has. Is it conduct...  Read Full »