Q. My wife has pregnancy symptoms along with heavy bleeding. What does it mean?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2021

My wife and I had sex one and a half months ago. We used the withdrawal method for contraception. After four weeks, she showed all the pregnancy symptoms including delayed period. Five weeks after the intercourse, she had heavy bleeding and it continued for four days. I think it was a miscarriage due to her daily walking and excessive work. Then, she took a home pregnancy test, and it shows negative. A week later, she again showed pregnancy symptoms like nausea and abdominal cramps. What does this mean? Is she pregnant? Was the heavy bleeding due to a miscarriage?

#

• A negative pregnancy test rules out pregnancy. But, to be safe, you can get a serum beta hCG test done. A negative result will rule out any possibility of pregnancy.
  • All the pregnancy symptoms can occur in the case of pregnancy in tubes, called as ectopic pregnancy, which is quite dangerous. So do get a blood test done and if positive, she needs an ultrasound immediately, to rule out ectopic pregnancy.
  • In the case of a negative result, the cause of the symptoms can be a stomach infection. If the infection is mild, the symptoms should subside in two to three days. In the case of a severe infection where symptoms are intolerable, she needs to consult a doctor.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|