Q. My girlfriend took Mifepristone instead of I-pill. Will it cause any side effect?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 08, 2020

Is taking contraceptive pill - Mifepristone after sex safe?

#

• Are you asking about contraceptive pill? But, Mifepristone is not a contraceptive pill to be used after sex.
  • It is used for abortion when the age of the fetus is less than 7 weeks. Also, it is used with an additional drug termed Misoprostol.
  • I presume that you are talking about emergency contraceptive like I-pill or plan B which contains progesterone in high dosage.
  • Yes, regular intake of this kind of pills is harmful and one must opt for regular contraceptive pills throughout the cycle if she is having regular sex. This pill is not harmful and widely recommended.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

She just took Mifepristone instead of plan B. Does it have side effects? Is it advisable to take plan B tomorrow?

#

• Please ask her to take it within 72 hours of sex.
  • Mifepristone as such do not have any side effect except nausea and vomiting.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

She took Mifepristone yesterday mistakenly and today she took the I-pill. Now, she is having severe abdominal pain. Is that normal?

#

• She might have this type of pain after taking I-pill. But, too much pain is never associated with any of these types of medicine.
  • She can take Drotin plus or Drotin DS (Drotaverine) along with a Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) or Omez 20 (Omeprazole) tablet to lessen her pain.
  • If it persists or not relieved, then meet any doctor nearby your locality for an initial assessment.

She has a high vaginal discharge too. Does this happen normally?

#

• Yes, she might have a vaginal discharge and even spotting or bleeding following the intake of I-pill.

| 

Will Mifepristone and Misoprostol be effective if taken after 49 days of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My fiancee is 59 days pregnant. So we consulted a doctor for an abortion and she prescribed Mifepristone and Misoprostol for the abortion. But the doctor had told this method should be used before 49 days. So if these tablets are taken on the 59th day, how much effective it would be?  Read Full »

I want to know if pills Mifepristone, Misoprostol are genuine and reliable and how to use it?

Query: HelIo, I want to know if my pills unwanted-kit from mankind (1 Mifepristone, 4 Misoprostol) genuine and reliable and how to use it?  Read Full »

Is medical abortion advisable after C-section?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife missed her periods and we doubt she is pregnant. Our first kid is just 1 year old now and it was a Cesarean. We are not in a position to have a second child now. Her LMP was 22nd of last month. I read that Mifepristone can induce abortion. Is it a safe drug? Do we have to consult ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»