Q. Among spinal and epidural anesthesia, which is recommended for uterine polyp removal?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

My gynecologist removed most of a polyp in her office with a local anesthetic and NSAID shot. However bits are still attached to the uterine wall because she was afraid of puncturing wall if I move. I had a colonoscopy with Propofol and had only had a bit of dizziness when I stood up, but it gone within a minute or two (I actually could have driven myself home). I had wanted to do without anesthetic, but the doctor said there was no way to get a local that far up. However, my gynecologist is afraid I could still move under Propofol and wants a general anesthetic. I only get to talk to an anesthesiologist at the hospital where once I schedule a surgery so I want to find out about perhaps using an epidural or spinal anesthetic. Basically, I want the least amount of anesthetic that will allow me to stay awake but keep my legs from moving. I have a high tolerance for pain. So, can I get some thoughts on this.

I am currently taking Levothyroxine sodium 50 mcg and some vitamin supplements.

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

Anesthesiology General Practitioner
#

Regarding your query, your surgery can be done under spinal or epidural anesthesia. It is a much safer option than general anesthesia. You will be pain-free for hours after surgery. You will be absolutely awake during surgery and will not be able to move your legs even a bit. The only thing is you will not be discharged on the same day of surgery which is not a big issue. So in my opinion, unless spinal anesthesia is contraindicated for you, ask your anesthetist if spinal anesthesia is feasible. Do not worry everything will be fine.

| 

What should I do for back pain that developed 2 years after C-section?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a cesarean section two years ago and I underwent regional anesthesia SAB at L3-L4 level. Now, I am experiencing discomfort and middle back pain. The pain location is where the needle was introduced. The pain is aggravated when I hunched back. Should I be worried? What should I do...  Read Full »

I had an abortion seven months back. Why do I still have black colored periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an abortion seven months back. I have been having black colored periods bleeding from the last three months. The bleeding is black on all the days of the periods.  Read Full »

Can I get a spinal block for laparotomy instead of general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with a 13 cm complex cyst in left ovary and have a laparotomy (small 3 to 4 inches vertical incision under my belly button to get rid of ovarian cyst) coming up and I would feel so much better if I could just get a spinal block instead of general anesthesia. I ha...  Read Full »

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now