Q. Among spinal and epidural anesthesia, which is recommended for uterine polyp removal?

Dr. Sukhdev Garg

My gynecologist removed most of a polyp in her office with a local anesthetic and NSAID shot. However bits are still attached to the uterine wall because she was afraid of puncturing wall if I move. I had a colonoscopy with Propofol and had only had a bit of dizziness when I stood up, but it gone within a minute or two (I actually could have driven myself home). I had wanted to do without anesthetic, but the doctor said there was no way to get a local that far up. However, my gynecologist is afraid I could still move under Propofol and wants a general anesthetic. I only get to talk to an anesthesiologist at the hospital where once I schedule a surgery so I want to find out about perhaps using an epidural or spinal anesthetic. Basically, I want the least amount of anesthetic that will allow me to stay awake but keep my legs from moving. I have a high tolerance for pain. So, can I get some thoughts on this.

I am currently taking Levothyroxine sodium 50 mcg and some vitamin supplements.

#

Regarding your query, your surgery can be done under spinal or epidural anesthesia. It is a much safer option than general anesthesia. You will be pain-free for hours after surgery. You will be absolutely awake during surgery and will not be able to move your legs even a bit. The only thing is you will not be discharged on the same day of surgery which is not a big issue. So in my opinion, unless spinal anesthesia is contraindicated for you, ask your anesthetist if spinal anesthesia is feasible. Do not worry everything will be fine.

| 

Why did I develop back pain two years after a c-section?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a cesarean section two years ago and I underwent regional anesthesia SAB at L3-L4 level. Now, I am experiencing discomfort and middle back pain. The pain location is where the needle was introduced. The pain is aggravated when I hunched back. Should I be worried? What should I do...  Read Full »

I had an abortion seven months back. Why do I still have black colored periods?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an abortion seven months back. I have been having black colored periods bleeding from the last three months. The bleeding is black on all the days of the periods.  Read Full »

Can I get a spinal block for laparotomy instead of general anesthesia?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with a 13 cm complex cyst in left ovary and have a laparotomy (small 3 to 4 inches vertical incision under my belly button to get rid of ovarian cyst) coming up and I would feel so much better if I could just get a spinal block instead of general anesthesia. I ha...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now