Q. How can nodal enlargement in lung be treated?

Dr. Anirudh Kumar Bokka
Published on Aug 20, 2019

I need advice after my second CT chest result. Six months back, I went for a CT scan because I have got chest pain which suddenly comes and goes and I wanted to go for a check-up. The CT showed a right-sided nodule measuring 3 mm and was advised to RPT interval scan in six months. I have done the second CT, the previous nodule is still there and they found another one.

In the LLL, a 4 mm nodule is representative of an intrapulmonary lymph node. No suspicious lung lesion. Tiny 3 mm RLL nodule noted. No enlarged lymph nodes. Mild thymic hyperplasia. The partly visualized upper abdominal viscera appear unremarkable. No aggressive bony lesion. They said I do not need to do anything which is strange because there are two nodes now and the second one was not there six months ago. Do I need some kind of medicine therapy to clear my lung from this node or do I need to check if it is growing or not after one year?

Dr. Anirudh Kumar Bokka

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

According to guidelines when there is a single nodule in the lung of size less than 3 mm we ask to follow up in six months for repeat CT. In the repeat CT, if we find any enlargement of the nodule or any new developments we usually ask for a biopsy of the existing nodule. That is how we practice. So, I think you should repeat your CT after six months and if the size increases, you should get a biopsy done.

The biopsy of my skin rash showed interface dermatitis with mucin. Do I have lupus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old female, and I have had itchy, red, and burning rashes. It all started as a few bumps on my right arm, above my eyebrow, right upper nose area, all over the jaw and chin area, right chest and upper back react badly to the sun, and it is getting worse. I have had a l...  Read Full »

What causes enlarged pericecal lymph nodes?

Query: Hello doctor, I just want to start off by saying that I am a 24-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with IBS in the past, and for about a good seven months I have had stomach issues on and off. Nothing serious, no weight loss or any large amounts of blood in the stool. I had one CT scan the first ...  Read Full »

Are my lymph nodes swollen due to an allergy to fried foods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I had a fever of 37.8oC on the eighth of last month, which only lasted for a day. But the fever was followed by few symptoms. After the fever, my lymph nodes at the back of my ear were swollen. I also had a sore throat and mouth ulcers. My body felt itchy, and I ...  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now