Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How can nodal enlargement in lung be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Anirudh Kumar Bokka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 20, 2019

Hello doctor,

I need advice after my second CT chest result. Six months back, I went for a CT scan because I have got chest pain which suddenly comes and goes and I wanted to go for a check-up. The CT showed a right-sided nodule measuring 3 mm and was advised to RPT interval scan in six months. I have done the second CT, the previous nodule is still there and they found another one.

In the LLL, a 4 mm nodule is representative of an intrapulmonary lymph node. No suspicious lung lesion. Tiny 3 mm RLL nodule noted. No enlarged lymph nodes. Mild thymic hyperplasia. The partly visualized upper abdominal viscera appear unremarkable. No aggressive bony lesion. They said I do not need to do anything which is strange because there are two nodes now and the second one was not there six months ago. Do I need some kind of medicine therapy to clear my lung from this node or do I need to check if it is growing or not after one year?

Dr. Anirudh Kumar Bokka

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)


Welcome to

According to guidelines when there is a single nodule in the lung of size less than 3 mm we ask to follow up in six months for repeat CT. In the repeat CT, if we find any enlargement of the nodule or any new developments we usually ask for a biopsy of the existing nodule. That is how we practice. So, I think you should repeat your CT after six months and if the size increases, you should get a biopsy done.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Bladder biopsy shows eosinophilic cystitis with eosinophil infiltration. Please help.
My biopsy report shows low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion. Please help.
I noticed a pea-sized lump below my armpit. What could it be?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

The biopsy of my skin rash showed interface dermatitis with mucin. Do I have lupus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old female, and I have had itchy, red, and burning rashes. It all started as a few bumps on my right arm, above my eyebrow, right upper nose area, all over the jaw and chin area, right chest and upper back react badly to the sun, and it is getting worse. I have had a l...  Read Full »

What causes enlarged pericecal lymph nodes?

Query: Hello doctor, I just want to start off by saying that I am a 24-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with IBS in the past, and for about a good seven months I have had stomach issues on and off. Nothing serious, no weight loss or any large amounts of blood in the stool. I had one CT scan the first ...  Read Full »

Are my lymph nodes swollen due to an allergy to fried foods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 35 year old male. I had a fever of 37.8oC on the eighth of last month, which only lasted for a day. But the fever was followed by few symptoms. After the fever, my lymph nodes at the back of my ear were swollen. I also had a sore throat and mouth ulcers. My body felt itchy, and I ...  Read Full »

Also Read

Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»
I was diagnosed with Celiac disease a year back. Can you suggest any medicine?
Having celiac fromnlast 10 year dignosis recently ayear ago since then i am gluten free still cant absorb food feeling w...  Read more»
My head is shivering from 20 days, and it feels like head trauma. What is the cause?
Hello sir, My head is shivering like anything , feeling like trauma is head. And its start anytime in a day and when s...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Pulmonologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.