Q. Why do I feel bloated in my upper abdomen?

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan

I had upper abdominal swelling for months, along with tight chest or asthma-like symptoms, which is more difficult to breathe out. Ventolin does not make much of a difference. I am taking Pantoprazole for GERD, which does not make a difference if I take it or not. Small meals seem to make me feel overly bloated as if I have had a large meal. This problem is getting worse now. I have changed my diet a few times, and nothing has changed. I have had an endoscopy which has shown no problems. I had a lung function test which did not show any issues. I also wore a 24-hour heart monitor and had a full heart echo test and 12-lead ECGs, which did not show any issues.

#

How is your sleep, and at what time do you feel such symptoms? Do you have any symptoms of anxiety-like increased heartbeat, headache, dryness of mouth? Do you have any pain in the epigastrium? Have you tried any other medication with Pantoprazole (Pronotix)? Please start the following medication and do 24-hour pH monitoring if you have not done it.

1. Capsule Dexlansoprazole (Dexilant) 30 mg twice daily on empty stomach.
  2. Tablet Levosulpiride (Dislep) 25 mg thrice a day before meals.

I sleep well, but I do not know minimal snoring, if any. As for pain in the epigastrium, some discomfort and reflux pain is noticeable when I have stopped my Pantoprazole for a week. I have not tried any other medication other than Pantoprazole.

#

It will be good if you start the prescribed treatment. Follow the same lifestyle modifications as you already do and avoid spicy and fatty meals. If you still suffer such symptoms, then you will have to do 24-hour pH monitoring.

|