Q. I have an erection problem during my wife's fertile window. Can I take Viagra?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 06, 2020

My wife and I were trying to conceive. The pressure to perform during her fertile window is impacting my ability to get erect. I usually have no problems. Is there any risk to the sperm or baby if I take a small dose of Viagra during her fertile window?

#

I understand what you must be going through; however, if your sperm counts are normal and it is just performance anxiety based erectile dysfunction, you can safely take Viagra 25 mg an hour before the act. It would improve the local blood circulation and would not affect sperm quality or production in any manner.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I read from some studies 15 years ago, which suggested that Viagra can make it harder for sperm to penetrate the egg. Is this true?

#

The generic of Viagra is Sildenafil, and the role of Sildenafil is vasodilation of local penile arteries causing increased blood circulation leading to high blood flow in corpus spongiosum layer of penis, and engorgement of the same leading to an erection. Sperms are manufactured in testis and in seminiferous tubules, supplied by thin capillaries guarded by membranes, not allowing large Sildenafil molecules to pass through it. The studies have been done, and hence it is termed safe during intercourse and even for infertile couples.

| 

I am suffering from erectile dysfunction and under L-Arginine. Please solve my problem.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from erectile dysfunction. Early morning sex power is also very low. There is a quick immature erection. The genital part does not stand properly. Right now, I am taking 1000 mg L-Arginine once daily. Can you please solve my problem?  Read Full »

Is erectile dysfunction related to my thyroid disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 72-year-old male with a height of 5 feet 6 inches and a weight of 78 kg. I have been on Eltroxin 100 mcg and Amloz 5 mg for two years for hypothyroidism. I am feeling fatigued and have an intense appetite. I have lost fertility for the last one year. My ESR value is 41. I also ...  Read Full »

Is it safe for a hypertensive patient to take Viagra?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 51 years being treated for coronary ectasia and hypertension. I am taking the following medicines now. Tablet Clopilet 75 mg, Warf 2.5 mg and Nebicard H. Can I take Viagra for erectile dysfunction?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now