iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOphthalmology (Eye Care)eye pressureI have abnormal eye pressure. Is laser surgery necessary?

Increased intraocular pressure in both the eyes. Should I go for Laser Peripheral Iridotomy surgery(LPI)?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Dadapeer. K

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At October 15, 2014
Reviewed AtFebruary 6, 2024

Patient's Query

Dear Doctor,

I have abnormal pressure in my eyes. I believe it was 24 in one and 23 in the other. My doctor told me that he would not dilate my eyes because it would be dangerous and asked me to find someone to do Laser Peripheral Iridotomy surgery(LPI).

I am 23 years old with no medical conditions. Need a second opinion.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer. K


Thanks for posting your query at icliniq.com.

  • It seems from the history that you are having increased intraocular pressure in both the eyes, the normal is 14-16 mmHg and you are having 24 and 23 mmHg.
  • In one of the sub type of glaucoma called as narrow angle glaucoma the anterior chamber will be shallow and dilating pupil can cause angle closure and resulting in angle closure glaucoma.
  • Hence your doctor has told not to dilate the pupil.
  • The treatment for angle closure glaucoma is prophylactic laser iridotomy.
  • Hence he has advised you to undergo laser iridotomy.

Hence I advise you to consult an eyecare ophthalmologist online for treatment accordingly --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Dadapeer. K
Dr. Dadapeer. K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy