Q. Increased intraocular pressure in both the eyes. Should I go for Laser Peripheral Iridotomy surgery(LPI)?

Dr. Dada Peer K
Published on Oct 15, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

Dear Doctor,

I have abnormal pressure in my eyes. I believe it was 24 in one and 23 in the other. My doctor told me that he would not dilate my eyes because it would be dangerous and asked me to find someone to do Laser Peripheral Iridotomy surgery(LPI).

I am 23 years old with no medical conditions. Need a second opinion.

Dr. Dada Peer K

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Thanks for posting your query at icliniq.com.

• It seems from the history that you are having increased intraocular pressure in both the eyes, the normal is 14-16 mmHg and you are having 24 and 23 mmHg.
  • In one of the sub type of glaucoma called as narrow angle glaucoma the anterior chamber will be shallow and dilating pupil can cause angle closure and resulting in angle closure glaucoma.
  • Hence your doctor has told not to dilate the pupil.
  • The treatment for angle closure glaucoma is prophylactic laser iridotomy.
  • Hence he has advised you to undergo laser iridotomy.

Hence I advise you to consult an eyecare ophthalmologist online for treatment accordingly --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Diagnosed with Glaucoma: What Next?

Article Overview: Glaucoma is an eye condition that is caused by fluid-build up and increased pressure in the eye, leading to progressive vision loss. Read Article

Dr. Shikha
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Glaucoma is a chronic, progressive disease. It poses a diagnostic dilemma for ophthalmologists and the patients get frustrated because it is often diagnosed at the advanced stage and they are unaware that they even have a disease. As there are no symptoms initially, they are unsure if they should co...  Read Article

My father has a constant pain in head after eye surgery. Please give your expert advice.

Query: Hi doctor, My father, who is 53 years old, is suffering from diabetic retinopathy and has undergone vitreoretinal surgery. After the surgery, his eye (right) responded well. But now, there is a constant pain in his head. The doctors said that there is some pressure in the eye, which increases and re...  Read Full »