Q. Can fatty liver cause swelling of the abdomen?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Published on Dec 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

I had a CT scan done. The report shows that I have an enlarged fatty liver measuring about 22.6 cm at the right midclavicular line. Is this considered a grossly enlarged liver? I have been a heavy drinker all my life. I have read that anything over 16 cm is enlarged. In my case, it is a way beyond the normal value. I am having abdominal discomfort and swollen feeling in my upper abdomen. Every time I eat, it gets worse. Could my liver be the cause of my upper abdominal swelling and discomfort?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• Fatty liver is a very common condition in the general population, especially who are heavy drinkers.
  • Usually, the symptoms include heaviness in right upper quadrant of the abdomen, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, decreased concentration and fullness.
  • As you said, liver is grossly enlarged, but on CT scan generally Hounsfield units (HU) are measured rather than the length of liver. Anything above 50 HU is considered to be fatty liver compared with the spleen.
  • The most common causes are excessive alcohol intake and fatty foods. Get a liver function tests, lipid profile and kidney function test to find out the exact stage.
  • As there is no definite treatment for fatty liver, strictly avoid alcohol and fast foods. I recommend you to do exercises daily and increase intake of green leafy vegetables.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

H. Pylori Infection - Diagnosis and Prevention

Article Overview: H. pylori infection is caused by Helicobacter pylori bacteria. It resides in the stomach tissues, causing ulcers, gastritis, and abdominal discomfort. This article discusses how this infection can be prevented from spreading. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S

Helicobacter pylori is a bacteria that is commonly present in stomach lining causing ulcers. This infection is contagious and it spreads from one person to another due to poor maintenance of personal hygiene. It spreads through saliva and fecal contamination of food and water. Causes The stomach e...  Read Article

Is there any medicine to overcome the effects of alcohol?

Query: Hi doctor, I am contacting you regarding an uncle of mine. He is 40 years old. His health issues are related to alcohol (beer). He drinks quite a few times a week. When he starts drinking, he drinks a few liters before stopping. He also smokes, but only sometimes. He finds heavy breathing after ju...  Read Full »

Alcohol - How Much Is Too Much?

Article Overview: This article helps in the self-assessment of alcoholism in a common man, using a validated scientific questionnaire. Read Article

Dr. Krishnadas Thulasidoss

Alcoholism and its related health consequences are a major health care issue all over the world. The social, economic and health consequences are well known. But it is also important to acknowledge the fact that alcohol is an important part of our lives in the form of relaxation, fine dining, social...  Read Article

Ask a Pulmonologist Now