Q. My first stool test showed occult blood, and the repeat test after seven days came negative. Why?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma

I am suffering from inflammatory bowel disease for the past nine years. And I am noticing white ball-like structures in my stool for the past year. I consulted my doctor for this issue, and he advised me to do a stool test. The reports showed the presence of occult blood. I am worried as the internet says this is colon cancer. When I asked my doctor regarding this, he suggested me to repeat the stool test after seven days. And now, the results were negative.

I have had hypertension for the past eight years. Kindly give your opinion.

Thanks.

#

I understand your concern, and I will help you with it.

Irritable bowel syndrome is a functional disorder, and it does not have an organic cause.

I have thoroughly read the history you have provided. Kindly share the results of all the investigations that you have done till now. Have you done a stool elastase test? If not, I suggest you get it done. It will assess the pancreatic function.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday, I collected the white balls in my stool and sent them for testing. The reports showed E.histolytica infection. The stool elastase test is not done. I did stool ova cyst test and fecal fat test only.

And my abdomen ultrasound shows that evening is fine.

Thanks

#

Entamoeba histolytica infection explains the occult blood in the stool. So, let us wait for the results of the repeat test.

If fecal fat test was negative, then stool elastase test is not required. The abdomen ultrasound does not have much significance, as it affirms the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

You should continue the current medications and additionally follow the below-mentioned measures.

1) IBS improves diarrhea symptoms if you stop taking gluten (wheat, barley, and rye) even in the absence of celiac disease. So, try eliminating gluten.

2) Some people are allergic to certain carbohydrates found in certain grains, vegetables, fruits, and dairy products. Try eliminating the products that trigger symptoms.

3) As stress is another crucial triggering factor, you should manage it. Exercise regularly and sleep well.

Take care.

|