Q. Is it normal to have foamy urine?

Dr. Krishna Somani
Published on Aug 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2019

My urine is foamy. I am confused whether everyone will get bubble and foamy urine while urinating. Please explain me.

#

I appreciate your vigilance.

Mild frothing of urine is usual, but excess of frothing denotes protein leakage in urine.

What is your age? Do you notice any swelling of your feet and face?

Do you have any other medical problem? To be sure get a urine routine microscopy report and follow up with that.

Revert back with answers to the above questions to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

My age is 26. There is no swelling in legs and in my face. But, I feel a burning sensation sometimes while urinating and my urine is light yellow in color. Please explain me.

#

Please get a urine routine and microscopic test done. This will clear all your doubts.

Revert back with the report to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

My urine is continuously foamy for many days. I have even done a urine R/M test. I have attached the photo of my report. Please help me.

#

I saw your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your urine reports show albumin nil, that means there is no leakage of albumin in urine. So, most likely your frothy urine is a benign process.
  • But still to be 100% sure, I suggest you to do a 24 hour urine test for total protein.
  • Collect your urine in a special container given by the laboratory and review with the reports.

Revert back with your report to a nephrologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nephrologist

Frequently Asked Questions

1.

What is Foamy Urine?

Foamy urine could be normal or pathologic. When you have a full bladder and the urine is falling on the toilet too forcefully and fast, you might get it, which is normal. But, if it occurs for a long time and increases in amount, you should visit your doctor as it can be due increased protein in urine due to some pathology.

2.

What Does Foamy Urine Look Like?

They appear as bubbles in the urine. Normally, it should go away when you flush the toilet but if it still persists, it means you need medical attention.

3.

Can kidney stones cause foamy urine?

Yes, foamy urine can be caused by kidney issues, since kidney stones for a long period may cause severe or chronic kidney pathology, this may lead to protein secretion in urine and cause foamy urine, which needs further evaluation by the doctor to ascertain the cause.

4.

Is foamy urine a sign of yeast infection?

This can be attributed to fungal infection or any other infection of UTI as the vaginal secretion might contaminate the urine giving it a cloudy look along with some amount of foaming.

5.

Is Protein in Urine (Proteinuria) dangerous?

Yes. This can denote a serious condition. Kidneys have the function of filtering. When the kidneys are damaged, this filtration process is affected. This will lead to excess secretion of the protein in urine and is called as proteinuria. This indicates that there is a chronic pathology involving kidney or the end stage of kidney disease.

6.

Foamy Urine during Pregnancy:

Yes, protein loss in urine can happen during pregnancy due to certain conditions like high blood pressure (preeclampsia), associated with seizures (eclampsia) and a variant of preeclampsia: HELLP (breakdown of RBC, raised liver enzymes, and low platelet count), causing foamy urine. All these definitely need medical attention.

7.

What is the Reason for Foamy Urine in the Morning?

As mentioned earlier, it can be normal or due to some pathology. If you have associated other symptoms or if it continues for a longer period with an increase in amount or severity, consult your physician for proteinuria and associated disease of kidney or some other condition.

8.

What are the Symptoms of Foamy Urine?

Along with bubbles, if you notice the following symptoms, kindly visit your doctor.
- Swelling in extremities like face, hand, feet, etc.
- Tiredness.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Sleeping issues.
- Dark colored or cloudy urine or change in the amount of urine.
- In males, less or no sperm during ejaculation, infertility.

9.

Why do I have bubbles when I urinate?

- The bubbles in the urine can be normal due to urine hitting toilet forcefully and fast and thus creating the bubbles.
- The other reason could be the presence of protein (like albumin) in urine due to kidney pathology (chronic kidney disease, kidney stones, etc.) or pregnancy that reacts with the air and forms foam.
- Dehydration or pregnancy can make the urine more concentrated and ultimately foamy.
- Sometimes, ejaculating reverse into bladder than outside can cause it.
- Taking certain medications like Phenazopyridine might cause it.
- Some chemical used to wash toilet may give such observation of foamy urine, wherein there is nothing wrong with you.
UTI Infections (majorly cloudy urine than foamy).

10.

How do you cure foamy urine?

- Usually, the kidney pathology causing it will be due to hypertension or diabetes, in which case the particular condition has to be controlled with diet, specific medications, and lifestyle changes.
- For the reverse ejaculation, unless and until you want to impregnate your wife, it is not much of a health concern.
- Hydrate yourself by drinking enough water.
- Certain medications can be used like Ephedrine, Imipramine, etc., which should be taken after consulting your physician.

My premature nephew had body swelling when he was a week old. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My nephew is a premature baby. On the third day, his blood glucose level was decreased to 34. Later, he was admitted and kept under surveillance. His blood test revealed elevated bilirubin level. Four days later, his blood values become normal. On the same day, suddenly there was swellin...  Read Full >>

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your baby probably has a problem with his kidneys. A urine spot protein to creatinine ratio of more than two usually suggests that your baby is losing a lot of protein through his kidneys called nephrotic range proteinuria. So, the swelling of the body migh...  Read Full

Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 36 years old. In one of her routine blood tests, we found a few anomalies. The report is attached. Please let me know your thoughts on the parameters that are out of range in the report and suggest medicines.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the attached photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Firstly, urine analysis shows pus cells which points to urinary tract infection. Please let me know if she has any painful urination or frequency. Secondly, the CBC (complete blood...  Read Full

Ask a Nephrologist Now