Q. Kindly explain the ways to increase the body weight.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

My problem is I am not able to get fat. Doctor please help me to get fat.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

With the details you gave I understand that you are an 18-year-old girl who is slim and unable to increase weight. Also, I see that your Body Mass Index is 15.43. Where as the weight that is desirable to you would be about 50 to 53 kg (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are in your puberty and hence there will be growth spurt because of which the body energy would be used fast to put height and other bodily developments. Also, this is the time your body sexually matures. These might be the reasons why you are unable to put weight.

However, I give you the following suggestions to help increase weight and bring it in normal range:

1. Eat plenty of proteins : soyabeans, fish, chicken.

2. Take ghee in appropriate amounts: You may use ghee as a cooking medium if you are not susceptible to pimples and acne, ghee has great deal of energy in it and helps put weight.

3. Eat adequate green leafy vegetables and minerals: take spinach, gooseberry, fenugreek leaves, palak leaves.

4. Drink 3 to 4 litres of water daily.

5. Drink 500 mL of milk daily: make sure the milk is not condensed (skimmed). Skimmed milk is devoid of the fat. You require the fat.

6. Increase the amount of food you eat, if you are eating 3 meals make it 4 spread out through the day.

7. Keep your body in shape by exercising so that weight gain is healthy and not in appropriate places.

8. Practice yoga and a daily workout regime concentrating more on weight gain exercises than cardio. Cardio exercises help lose weight than gain.

9. If still not satisfied, take protein powders, soy or milk protein powders with good energy content. Search for protein powders for ladies for putting weight.

Next, do not worry unnecessarily about your weight. This age one grows tremendously and so it might be difficult to put weight. However, within a few years your growth spurt will stop and you body metabolism will stabilize. Take the above measures and follow my advice. It is important to keep oneself healthy and appreciate ones own body.

|