Q. What can be the reason for right abdominal pain post gallbladder removal surgery?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar

I have a gastro problem. 11 months back, I started having diarrhea that lasted for two months. I had undergone numerous tests, and my doctor suggested gall bladder removal. I had the surgery for gall bladder removal six months back. Since then, I have not had nausea or diarrhea but have had sharp pain above my waistline and below my right rib 15 to 20 minutes after eating or drinking. The pain is worse on sitting and lying down. I have undergone MRI, HIDA, MRI contrast, CT contrast, EGD, and blood work. All the test results are negative.

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

A bile duct stricture or narrowing of the bile duct is common post-surgery. Ligating the blood vessel supplying the common bile duct can damage the duct, followed by scarring. The narrowing or stricture may be confined to a small length or a point or can be extensive or have multiple point narrowing at various places of the biliary tree.

Another possibility is nerve pain when the small nerves get trapped in the tissues while placing sutures that can cause pain later. However, the pain can occur anytime and is of shooting type in contrast to your squeezing pain. Also, pancreatic diseases like acute recurrent pancreatitis can cause diarrhea and pain.

|