Q. Can gastrointestinal infection last for three months?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar S and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Gastroenteritis or Pantoprazole? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am a 29 year old male, and I am concerned about my health. I had an episode of possible food-borne illness, three months back. That time, I had shivers, fluttering pain in lower abdomen, fever, and high bilirubin. The symptoms have gone, except for occasional fluttering. My bilirubin went down, and I had fluttering and gas on and off for a month afterward. I had a lot of spicy and fried food, so the pain returned. I did an ultrasound of the entire abdomen and kidneys, which came back negative. I still have the fluttering, with on and off abdominal pain. I also had some itching for a few days over the past month. Today, I had one normal bowel movement and another which had floating stools. Any idea what is going on with me? Can a gastrointestinal infection last for three months? I do not smoke, but I drink occasionally. I do not have a family history of gallbladder or pancreatic cancer. Thanks for your help.