Q. I vomit if I drink too much liquid on an empty stomach. What could be the problem?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 03, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 15, 2019

Nearly two years ago, I got a bad cold and vomited badly. It continued for days leading me unable to hold down any foods or liquids until I checked into the hospital and given IVs, which made me better. However, since then, I am more prone to getting close to vomiting if I drink too much liquid on an empty stomach or fast cardio or weights. Earlier, I could drink cups of coffee and make fast sprints without any problem. I have taken Metonia, which helps empty the stomach but only gives short temporary relief. What could be my medical problem and what would be the solution? Thank you.

#

• The infection you are suffering from is called gastroenteritis or stomach flu. In gastroenteritis, the mucosa of the intestine is severely inflamed causing symptoms like loose stools, indigestion, and vomiting.
  • The tests suggested are as follows:
  1. Ultrasound abdomen to rule out inflammation of abdomen.
  2. Stool test for bacterial or protozoal infection.
  3. Fecal calprotectin to rule out intestinal inflammation.
  • Most likely, stomach flu is viral and is self-limiting. However, antibiotic therapy can be given in case it is bacterial or protozoal.
  • I suggest the following treatment. Kindly consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.
  1. Start Fybogel (Isabgol) or Metamucil. It increases the bulk of stool and improves digestion.
  2. Start taking a good probiotic daily. It will gradually improve digestion. Probiotic is rich in good bacteria, which assists digestion.
  3. Take lots of banana, apple, and peaches. Drink lots of fibrous juices. Take light and easily digestible food.
  • Antibiotic therapy could be given as per the reports of investigation.
  • Imodium (Loperamide) 4 mg stat dose can be taken to stop loose stools. Also, Dicyclomine can be taken for spasmodic pains along with Nexium 40 mg (Esomeprazole).

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|