Q. Is gastroenteritis contagious?

Dr. Ohams Henry
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

Last Saturday my partner while temporarily at his mother's home got sick then following day evening he was diagnosed with gastrointestinal bacterial infection most likely from E. Coli bacteria by a home visit doctor service who gave him something for his symptoms. Next day no more vomiting, but still other symptoms are present. And the next day most symptoms eased or gone except gastritis and diarrhea and since yesterday all symptoms are gone.

My question is how long number of days after his recovery, it is safe for him to return home, so his body is no longer contagious as we have not seen each other in person since he stayed at his mother's home? I do not want to afford the risk of being exposed to this infection.

Dr. Ohams Henry

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

It is a classical food-related infection. It is gastroenteritis. If those symptoms of stooling and vomiting have subsided then he is free. You are safe with him. If there are no more symptoms he is no longer contagious. If you both keep good personal hygiene if there is not contamination of your food or water and there will not be any infections. Wash your hands with soap and water after using the toilet. Keep the environment clean. These measures will prevent germs from your environment.

|